964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I disable the factory alarm?

Old 11-14-2004, 03:04 AM
dennypayne
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How can I disable the factory alarm?

Hi all,

Just got a '91 C2 and the factory alarm seems to be super-sensitive. I'd like to disable it but I couldn't find a way to do so. I don't really want to have to pull the horn fuse every night but I need to do something (and would that even work?). Any help would be greatly appreciated by my neighbors!

Denny
Old 11-14-2004, 12:18 PM
964porschedude
Intermediate

I would first try by pulling the connector on the Alarm Box. I think it is under the right seat. If everything else works to your satisfaction.

Keith
Old 11-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I would first try by pulling the connector on the Alarm Box."

That won't work. Porsche didn't make stealing a 964 car that easy!

Last edited by Lorenfb; 11-15-2004 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:30 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Sure won't work. The immobilser circuit (power to relay R41) runs into the alarm and out again via the connector. If you pull off the connector you break the circuit the relay does not energise and you do not start.
The best idea is to actually find and fix the problem and I would advise you start in the glove box.
Ciao,
Adrian
The following users liked this post:
Pardonmypov (02-07-2022)
Old 11-14-2004, 02:32 PM
dennypayne
Cruisin'

Well actually it would be better if it was still enabled but silent. The flashing light would be at least a theft deterrent. I don't suppose there's any way to do that though. But 4 minutes of loud alarm is not good when it seems to go off for no reason. I live in an apartment complex so I'm trying not to destroy my goodwill with neighbors.

Denny
Old 11-14-2004, 04:20 PM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Location: Grantham, UK. My Whippets have wee'd up this many Telephone

Hi All,

I have the opposite problem. I am happy to have my alarm working, but my alarm seems to be set to silent. How can i turn the siren on and where is it???

ALso, i only have one 'button-key' to operate the alam. Is ot possible to get a replacement and where from?

thanks
Kevin
Old 11-15-2004, 01:15 AM
Mike Mapperson
Intermediate

Hi Kevin,

My car has a "Porsche Alarm" sticker on the rear quarter window, but did not come with an alarm type key. I ordered a spare key from my OPC but they didn't aslk if i wanted an alarm remote. Is it in the key for your car or in a separate module?

Mike Mapperson
Old 11-15-2004, 03:01 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Denny,
I already told you where to look first. The 964 especially US airbag fitted versions have/had this problem. The most common cause is the glove compartment. The three main possibilities are;
a). The glove compartment is filled to capacity with heavy objects which causes the door to sag and activate the alarm.
b). There is something like a mobile phone cord interfering with the switch.
c). The design fault in the switch, which means it is coming apart and is fixed by installing a grommet.
I am afraid I am not going to tell anyone how to actually disable the alarm system for legal reasons and I am not giving any potential thieves a one up either. This kind of information is just what they are looking for.
Ciao,
Adrian
Old 11-15-2004, 03:07 AM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Location: Grantham, UK. My Whippets have wee'd up this many Telephone

Hi Mike

I have the separate remote for the alarm, which activates the door lock. The alarm works in so far as if you open the door with a 'key' instead of the 'remote', then the indicators flash. I have a separate immobiliser on a separate plastic key... Where is the siren located? I've looked around but it hasn't 'jumped-out' at me yet!

regards
Kevin
Old 11-15-2004, 06:08 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"I am afraid I am not going to tell anyone how to actually disable the alarm system for legal reasons and I am not giving any potential thieves a one up either."

Same reason I didn't provide any further info. The 964 alarm unit rarely if ever has a problem,
except when the battery is jumped backwards. As posted before, check all alarm inputs.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:40 AM
dennypayne
Cruisin'

Default Found a solution, sort of

Well after some trial and error I found that if I close the driver's door (unlocked), then go around to passenger side and use the central locking button, then close the passenger door (now locked), I can lock the car without the alarm being armed. Not terribly convenient but it works for now. I haven't had a chance to inspect the glove box switch closely yet to see if that is what is causing the sensitivity, but I will look there and at the other switch locations (I think I saw a full list in the owner's manual).

I can certainly understand not wanting to give up all the secrets in a public forum, so if anyone has any other info to email me directly please do so via my profile and/or visit www.dennypayne.com and use the email addresses listed there.

Thanks!
Denny
Old 11-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

You need to buy this manual; "Porsche 911 Enthusiats's Companion". It's a great tool
to use when having 964 problems. Check out pages 363-366 on alarms. It should be
helpful.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Mezger
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do I need to disable my 964's alarm system for trailer shipping?
Old 05-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

If you're shipping cross country, or across the ocean, I would just disconnect the battery.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:20 PM
rsscotty
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alarms

Originally Posted by Adrian
Dear Denny,
I already told you where to look first. The 964 especially US airbag fitted versions have/had this problem. The most common cause is the glove compartment. The three main possibilities are;
a). The glove compartment is filled to capacity with heavy objects which causes the door to sag and activate the alarm.
b). There is something like a mobile phone cord interfering with the switch.
c). The design fault in the switch, which means it is coming apart and is fixed by installing a grommet.
I am afraid I am not going to tell anyone how to actually disable the alarm system for legal reasons and I am not giving any potential thieves a one up either. This kind of information is just what they are looking for.
Ciao,
Adrian
Although this post from Adrian is many years old, what he says in the last part of his post on not telling anyone how to disable a factory alarm should be held in very high regard these days and always. It hurts me deeply when I hear of any Porsche getting stolen, since they are my passion. It seems like a lot get stolen and in very few cases the final outcome is good for the owner..either found and ruined beyond repair, or not found at all.

I believe Porsche did the best they could back in the day of designing these cars as far as the alarm system, but it still wasn't great. So the aftermarket alarm companies came about, and with the install of their systems, the potential for a whole bunch of electrical system issues, gremlins or whatever you chose to name them, on that particular car. It is not like the installer left a manual for the poor souls down the road to figure out their install when they did have problems.

The alarm systems that work should only still be thought of as a deterrent and nothing more.

If someone wants something bad enough they will probably find a way to take it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How can I disable the factory alarm?