Sponsored by:

Performance ignition wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Performance ignition wires

Has anybody on the forum had any first hand experience of the Kingsborne high performance ignition lead sets for the 964?? They advertise their set number 09-791 as suitable for all C2 and C4 models and apparently use Beru ends. My concern is whether they have all the necessary grommets fitted to fit through the lower engine shield. Magnetec also advertise a set but say that they do not fit the grommets and, because of the plug cap they use, the lower engine shield has to be permanently removed.

Kingsborne are at www.kingsborne.com and the 09-791 set retails for some huge amount of money - but is it worth it?? And does it fit a road-going car with it's various bits of metalwork??

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Dave
Old 11-08-2004, 04:14 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts

You can easily cut a slit in the old grommet, and slide your new wires into the holes through the slits you make. This way you can get some good wires, and keep your grommet!
Old 11-08-2004, 04:28 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

If your looking for a performance gain by replacing spark ignition wires your only wasting money, there is nothing to be gained. If your worried about the engine capsule grommets then ask Kingsborne if they use the twist-on Beru end connectors. If so you can just buy the grommets from Porsche for a few dollars and twist pull the ends off, push the wires through the grommet and then twist the connectors back on (no need to cut the grommets/seals). Also, it might be cheaper for you to buy wire, connectors and a crimping device directly from Beru.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:40 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
no need to cut the grommets/seals
I agree with Jason - there's not much to improve on the performance side. Regarding cutting the grommets - I was referring to the part that feeds the wires through the engine sheetmetal which is what I think Dave was referring to (but now as I re-read his post, I think he means the plug ends... oh well!) - I would NOT cut the ends that go on the spark plugs!!
Old 11-08-2004, 05:45 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

There is no need to cut the grommets that attach to the sheetmetal (which is also what I thought he was talking about). You can just unscrew the connectors and then pass the wire through the grommet.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Guys,

I think I might be misleading myself - as well as you. From the little I've read (and been told by Magnecor) I believe there to be grommets located in some metalwork through which the lower plug leads pass on their way to the lower plugs. I was led to believe (again by Magnecor) that THEIR lead set does not have the grommets and they also use a shorter plug cap so they seem to advise that the lead set only be used on competition cars (where the metalwork is likely to be discarded anyway.

I wasn't expecting to get any performance increase by merely changing the plug leads but there is a chance that mine are due for renewal and I just fancied a red set rather than boring black. No functional advantage whatsoever - purely visual!!

I was just looking for some practical advice from someone who may have bought the Kingsborne set and their experience.

Thanks for the responses.

Regards

Dave
Old 11-08-2004, 07:10 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Computamedic
I believe there to be grommets located in some metalwork through which the lower plug leads pass on their way to the lower plugs. I was led to believe (again by Magnecor) that THEIR lead set does not have the grommets and they also use a shorter plug cap so they seem to advise that the lead set only be used on competition cars (where the metalwork is likely to be discarded anyway.
That is what I thought you were talking about. Porsche sells the grommets separately and you unscrew the ignition wire connectors to pass the wire through the grommet then you screw the connectors back on. I'll take a picture sometime tonight.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

It's not a good idea to change from stock Porsche ignition wires, as the ignition
system can be very problematic with the DME control unit causing random poor
running and DME faults.

Quick Reply: Performance ignition wires