Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUF Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Well then we shouldn't be paying more than the cost of the eprom and whatever it costs to use the postal system."

Tell this to Microsoft when you buy a Windows update; "Why should I pay more than
the cost of a blank CD and shipping?"
Old 11-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there is an issue here which I'd file under "responsibilty".

If someone chooses to make an illegal copy of an EPROM and then sell it for what he can get it is unlikely that he would take responsibilty for any ill effects of fitting it or using it. I suspect buying a chip from Ruf directly or it's authorised agent might buy you significantly more in the way of potential support. This is what determines the price.

I have just installed a chip developed by ProMAX Motorsport here in the UK. (www.promaxmotorsport.co.uk). Designed specifically for the 964 running 98 octane fuel it provides a HUGE improvement in tractability as well as upper revs performance. No chip change is going to make massive advances in out and out HP gains in a NA engine but I have been very impressed with the overall performance and driving experience with the ProMAX chip - a bargain at £150. I don't know if ProMAX promote this product outside the UK (availability of suitable fuel etc.) but I'd recommend it in a heartbeat to anyone in the UK.

Regards

Dave
Old 11-09-2004, 01:43 PM
dove
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"Well then we shouldn't be paying more than the cost of the eprom and whatever it costs to use the postal system."

Tell this to Microsoft when you buy a Windows update; "Why should I pay more than
Lets get Microsoft to do just that and stop them having such a crazy monopoly on the market and the punters
Old 11-09-2004, 02:23 PM
tyler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 1991 C2, had an autothority chip in it and the check engine light never stayed on all the time...FWIW

i think the car is still owned by someone on this board, i doubt it is causing him any trouble either

tyler
Old 11-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Steve 935
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you guys think of the Weltmeister chip?Any first hand experience?I have one laying around and I was thinking of trying it?Wonder if I should get my car emission tested before I put the chip in?
Old 11-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Steve 935
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I just removed my primary and secondary muffler. I should have both bypass pipes and my new cup air box by the end of the day.I am anxious to see how it runs afterward.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:17 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
Ignoring right and wrong for one message; Microsoft has a legal right to sell their software, aftermarket Porsche chip suppliers do not. If people are buying third-party duplicate eproms then the eproms their buying aren't worth more than the postal shipping charges and cost of a blank eprom. There was once a rumor that Ruf had purchased rights from Bosch and Porsche to update the 964 software. If their software is setting the check engine light than they most definitely do not. It kind of makes you wonder just how far they went through the eprom or if they bothered to dump the rom from the motorola slave chip if they weren't able to fix the check engine light.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:37 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Jason,
I can assure you that RUF did not purchase the "rights" to the code of Bosch Motronic systems. In fact Porsche still sell their own very expensive engine upgrade kits for the 964.

FVD purchased the 964 rights for everything except the codes.

The original RUF chips did set off the check engine lights. Why? Because the chip was developed on a German version of the 964 which does not have a check engine light.
When they were sold to the USA for the first time the fault was detected and rectified. Of course it only happened on 1991 models and up as well.
Tuners in Europe have problems with this all the time. The 993 is even more difficult from MY 96 and up. They have to purchase specific US version only equipment or get a US version into the shop to play around with.

The vast majority of RUF chips sold on Ebay in the USA are known to be illegal copies. This comes up a least once a year. When you purchase the 15 HP RUF engine upgrade kit (purely electronic) from RUF it costs around 750 Euros.

Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
GT-2

Quick Reply: RUF Chip?