Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BANG!! Cab to Targa?? Maybe, Anyone Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb BANG!! Cab to Targa?? Maybe, Anyone Anyone?

I'm tied of my Cab top constantly needing parts. Transmissions, Cables, Motors, Bushings, and Endless Adjustments. This was braught to topic due to responces given to Bang, my top broke. I've been thinking of changing my Cab top to the Targa top. I love my car and the open air feel of the Cab but I'm terd of it breaking or malfunctioning in the most dyer of straights. Usually on a date with a chick I've been working to go out with for a week or more; not a good impression. How a bout pounding on the dash or yanking on the top in a sudden downpoar as I'm watching the floorboards fill; not to attractive either huh? Anyway, just wanted to see how many people would catch the Cab to Targa title and not see it as the imfamous Targa to Cab practice we're all trying to ignore.
Duncan
Old 11-01-2004, 10:21 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Humm, how about using the 993's hardtop instead. they are tough to find but they do exist and should work (possibly with some modifications). you loose the entire top assembly.
i found this link pretty fast it's a replica one.....
http://www.worldclassexotics.com/Rem...%20Hardtop.htm
Old 11-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Hey thanks Rob,
I've seen this before somewhere and had given it some thought. Still a consideration but I'm trying to invission the whole top down experience with something a little easier to put on(or carry around) in case of inclimate weather. The hard top is not out of the question though; it would be the cheaper and easier of the two to install as well as maintain.
Duncan
Old 11-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

it was just a thought -
converting to a targa would be really expensive. uncharted waters
however doing a conversion to a real manual top would be easier, you have to backdate 2 of the top arms and recarpet the rear of the car plus make some other modifications. You can use the eariler gen top mechanism. Still not very cheap but technically feasable.
there is a 3rd option as well (which would mean selling the cab and buying a targa)
Old 11-01-2004, 11:05 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Hey Rob,
I just noticed that you are in WA.
I was stationed in Fort Lewis back in 89&90. Lovely place; I've always wanted to move back to the Sea-Tac area.
Thanks for the input. Either way I'll be looking at a big spend. This is someting that will deffinately have to be carfully considered. I do like the manual top idea; are they light and easy to put up or down by myself? Could it be opperated from the seat or is it strictly an out of the car transition.
Duncan
Old 11-02-2004, 08:30 AM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, CONSTANTLY breaking? Something sounds wrong. Undoubtedly this is a problem we share with our cabs, but it sure as heck don't sound like it's something that happens all the time to all the cars... I think you need to be careful that it is adjusted properly and when it starts to jamb STOP...

As for the bimbo, get her involved when you put it down or up. Hell the reason she went out with you in the first place is that you have a Porsche cabriolet! LOL
Old 11-02-2004, 08:37 AM
leosayer
Racer

Targa tops (just the roof part) are very difficult and expensive to come by second hand. Don't ask how much they are new from Porsche!
Old 11-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

i'll trade you (I use to live in raleigh- too much Gray out here )
On the manual top ala pre-1989 964 - you have to get out of the car to put the top up.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:29 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

I've really enjoyed the responces so far and I am now holding my eyelids up for a resonably priced man. cab top (used of coarse). The top I have now is just falling apart and I know its noticable. I have no desire to try to keep it working, I just keep it closed.

Quick Reply: BANG!! Cab to Targa?? Maybe, Anyone Anyone?