911 C4 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 02:38 PM
tdisu
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 C4 purchase

Hi all,

I am about to buy a 1990 year C4 which has not been started in a long time. Initially had some tranny problem!

It is a Targa and leaks water

Can anyone assist me with tips on what to look out for before buying this car?
Cheers
TDISU
Old 10-14-2004, 02:55 PM
chame01
Advanced

I would reccomend a PPI (pre-purchase inspection). You can't go wrong with this. If the car hasn't been started for a while, you may have to check that the engine seals have not dried up and cracked.

good luck with your purchase!! and welcome to the board?

BTW: got any pics?
Old 10-14-2004, 07:45 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See what, if any, records you can get. They will come in handy later on if you do indeed end up purchasing the car. Also, how many miles? How's the rest of it look? I second the recommendation for a PPI, because if you're new to the cars there are lots of little things you won't know to look for. Try to find a shop in your area with some experience with 964s. If you ask them if the dual-distributor vent kit has been installed and they look at you like you just said something in sanskrit, find another shop. If you're serious about the car, another $50 or so well spent would be to get a copy of Adrian Streather's book, "Porsche 911 Enthusiast's Companion: Aufstragsnummer 964". This book has a wealth of knowledge about the cars, including a whole chapter devoted to a buyer's guide. Here are just a few of the things Adrian says to check:
-distributor vent kit installed
-Function checks: make sure the following work (if installed) A/C, cruise control, spoiler manual control (**** in center console for 90-94, under engine compartment lid for 89s), seat mechanical and electrical adjustment, sound system.
Those are some good places to start. Oh, and please post some pics if you can!
Brian
Old 10-15-2004, 01:32 PM
gjvander
Rennlist Member

Make sure there are no warning lights on after the car has idled for a minute or two (other than the spoiler light - why the hell is that light on when you start the car!!). With the C4's there can be problems with the hydraulic system that can get expensive, so you want to make everything checks out.

And of course the Dual Mass Flywheel....

To see if the 4WD system works, take the car out in the rain and spin up the wheels a bit. You can really feel the power transfer to the front wheels when the PDAS kicks in. I love driving my C4 in the wet. Not sure how else to tell is the system is working properly. In the dry it is tough to get it to kick in and feel it - too much traction for the HP available.

Regards,

Geo
Old 10-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gjvander
Make sure there are no warning lights on after the car has idled for a minute or two (other than the spoiler light - why the hell is that light on when you start the car!!). With the C4's there can be problems with the hydraulic system that can get expensive, so you want to make everything checks out.
To go in parallel with what Geo posted above, also check for any warning lights that are NOT lit when turning the key on. Consultation with the owner's manual to see what should go on is necessary. Some owners will yank the bulb on the offending warning light instead of fixing the actual problem. This condition has been posted enough over the years to be something to check for.

If the car has been known to leak water, you need to pull the carpets in the front and rear footwells to see if there is any rust damage. I'd also get an opinion from a expert body shop to see if there is any further water/rust damage that is not readily visible to the average buyer/owner.

Jay
90 964
Old 10-15-2004, 06:40 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Run away unless the price is irresistable. The tranny problem could be major. Storage and neglect issues are big concerns.

Consider:

Corroded/stuck piston rings from idle engine in humid environment
Dried out seals could start leaking
Flat spots on tires and possibly on roller bearings
Hidden corrosion
Electrical problems from water exposure
Possible habitation and damage by insects and critters
Mildew/smells

This sounds like a great find for a parts car, but for a driver, you need to find a car with no history of neglect. The cost for catching up on neglected maintenance is usually more than what you save on purchase price, and you still have issues. Go in with eyes open if you decide to proceed. Good luck!
Old 10-15-2004, 06:46 PM
jasonbu64
Instructor

you could always buy my 1994 cab instead of a busted old targa.....just an idea to save you time and trouble.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:48 PM
le3
Advanced

Definitely buy Adrian Streather's book, "Porsche 911 Enthusiast's Companion: Aufstragsnummer 964". This $69.95 book has saved me at least 20 times the cost. C4s can be nightmares if you don't do your homework upfront.

Example when I purchased my C4 nothing leaked and everything worked great, like a fool I did not get a PPI. 1 year later I had to reseal the engine $5000 (had clutch replaced while the engine was out, which was on its last leg). His book helps you identify which car you are going to pay for a PPI on.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: 911 C4 purchase