Sponsored by:

Valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Patrick L
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Valve cover

I'm having my engine rebuild by local OPC currently (actually, not started yet, but soon within this week) The technician told me my valve covers may be corroded and need to be replaced. He said these covers are very expensive at OPC, more than $3000 a set, so he suggested me to get it outside. I checked some websites and found these covers are really expensive, although cheaper than OPC, still need around $1900. But I also read some articles on PCNA that these covers cost $300~400 a set.

I'm really confused what's the correct price for these covers? Why there are such a big price difference? The outside price I was quoted are part numbers 964 105 115 02 (upper) and 964 105 116 02 (lower). Are these part numbers correct for my C4? Just hard to believe four metal covers cost so much...

I also found numbers 964 105 115 01 and 964 105 116 01, which are also valve covers. What's the difference between these numbers?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Patrick

The 96410511502 is an Upper Cam Cover and the 96410511602 is a Lower Cam Cover. The Upper Cam Covers here in the UK cost around £400 for the pair from an OPC and the Lower ones are even worse at around £700 for the pair. Porsche original covers are Dealer only items here in the UK which is why they are so expensive - I was lucky, I got a pair of upper covers for £40 (brandnew!) and I have recently purchased a new one (allegedly) on Ebay for around 100Euros. I only need one lower one as I have a slight leak on one side only and having had so many problems finding one at a good price have given up trying to find a pair. There are some on Ebay at the moment and can be found here (purchase at your own risk of course as I have...). This link seems to include the gasket set as well...

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=7926917213

Hope that helps!

BTW, I don't know what the -01 numbers are....maybe RS items? Somebody with a parts catalogue can tell you...
Old 10-12-2004, 03:52 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick L
I'm really confused what's the correct price for these covers? Why there are such a big price difference
There is no logic to Porsche parts pricing. For example; The 380mm orange heater hose on your right heat exchanger sells for $76USD, the 210mm hose on your left heat exchanger is $16USD. Ask your mechanic where the corrosion is located and just how bad it is? (get pictures if you can) You'd be amazed the work a machine shop can do for $50USD, especially when the alternative is $1900. If your covers are not corroded you may still want to have them run perfectly flat on a belt-sander. In the USA that costs about $15USD.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:56 PM
ian c - u.k

any decent cylinder head shop can tig in the corrosion and then skim back .

if they could do me a vw vr6 head for less than 100 quid , should be a reasonable price for 4 covers !!

will check pet for you , but numbers are probobly left upper , left lower , right upper , right lower .
Old 10-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I am in the same situation with needing one badly (lower driver, left, side)... but the other ones are on their way out as well... and have not been able to find a decent set for a good price...
Old 10-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

If we could only get Robert Linton to make us a set.... sweet...
Old 10-12-2004, 04:11 PM
ian c - u.k

remember seeing updated ones somewhere on the net ( probobly a link from rennlist )
Old 10-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Christer
Race Car

the problem is not only corrosion, but also that they go 'out of true' over a period of years. 9M tried to seal mine twice to no avail, no corrosion just didn't seal properly again. New gaskets og course used each time as well.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:27 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default valve covers

hello Pat,

if your valve covers do not leak now chances are that they are fine. as far as the 01 these are the ealier type that are made of magnesium and are lighter in weight. the 02 which i have seen and held are made of alumium and are heavier and much better quality. call msroadrace in the states. i was at the ventura car show and they wanted 100 dollars apiece for lower ones, they were new and nice, the only question that i hade was why was that little diamond trade make that porcshe uses ground away????????
Old 10-13-2004, 02:12 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christer
that they go 'out of true' over a period of years. 9M tried to seal mine twice to no avail, no corrosion just didn't seal properly again. New gaskets og course used each time as well.
A few seconds on a belt sander and they are totally flat once again.

SuperTec Performance in California will powder coat the outsides and belt sand the back sides for $15USD/each (or just flatten them for $7USD/each). Any local machine shop should be capable of doing this.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:51 AM
eddychan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem and my mechanic told me to get a new pair long time ago but I thought it will leak after a good 18 to 24 months and by then I need to adjust the valave and a new set of gaskets anyway so I did not bother.
Patrick, you only need the bottom ones as they are likely to leak!
Jaime is right! if Robert Linton can make them, I wish to order a set as well.
Dutchcrunch, please please let us have more information about " Msroadrace".

Much appreciated!!

Eddie
Old 10-13-2004, 08:59 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jesus Christer,

I never realised they were so expensive!
Old 10-13-2004, 12:37 PM
ian c - u.k

Originally Posted by emilios
Jesus Christer,
no need to bring religion into it !!!
Old 10-14-2004, 04:44 AM
Christer
Race Car

JasonAndreas, 9M did not recommend trying to get a cam cover back into true - especially as the error in mine was not detectable. Hopefully my 'new' cover should be arriving from Germany any time soon - I need a about a liter every 2k miles and Castrol Formula RS 10W-60 is expensive (and hard to find buts another story..)
Old 10-14-2004, 05:36 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Christer, did 9M give any reason for not running your valve covers on a belt sander? I'll admit its not something I thought of/about until reading it online (even after spending way too much time polishing mine). In any case, if your still waiting for new valve covers from Germany it might still be worth spending a few minutes in a local machine shop to have the valve covers resurfaced (if its anything close to $7USD over in England like it is here). With your non-stock exhaust system all you'll need is 10mm socket to get access and if you jack up only one side of the car you won't need to drain your oil (from experience you'll only spill enough to lightly soak a few paper towels). Every engine builder I've spoken with over here (4 so far) has suggested belt sanding the valve covers while/when I do my valve job.

Quick Reply: Valve cover