Sponsored by:

MOT experiences...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MOT experiences...?

Having realised that my car's MOT ran out at the end of August , I thought it best to get the car tested ASAP. On Saturday I booked the car in at a standard MOT test station. On the way there, I realised that my car has been heavily modified since the last test and thought it interesting to find out whether it would actually pass.

Half an hour later, the car had been checked over thoroughly (and we had chatted a lot about the car etc) by 2 of them and I thought it was time for the emissions test (which I was interested in). He called me into the office and as he was writing out the Certificate I asked him whether he was going to do an emissions test. He said 'oh, i forgto all about that' completed the Certificate and then said 'I think it would lhave been allright especially with a rebuilt engine...' Of course, if it had failed massively then I would regretted the emsissions test, but I actually wanted to see what the results would have been...I guess I czn wait until next year...

Anyone else seen this 'relaxed' attitude?
Old 10-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Christer,
My MOT test station do not have this relaxed attitude but still pass my emissions!
Old 10-04-2004, 09:05 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Yes, I regognize that attitude, I am a official MOT inspector for the Netherlands, but I almost never use is because of my mainly desk job. We can see if somebody 'cares' about their cars or not. 100% sure your emission test will be ok............
Old 10-04-2004, 09:06 AM
Christer
Race Car

Yes, they did on mine as well before the last round of mods. However with Motec and all the other sh*t, I was interested to see the result....maybe I should count myself lucky?
Old 10-04-2004, 10:21 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

IIRC the emissions levels applicable to pre-cat 964s are astronomicaly high. There would have to be something seriously wrong with the fueling to fail.
Never had any problem with mine.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:35 AM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Location: Grantham, UK. My Whippets have wee'd up this many Telephone

The MOT station that carried out the last MOT on my C2 MUST have been very relaxed, as they passed the MOT with a chipped Windscreen, Faulty Washer jets, Knackered Wiper blades, faulty Horn and a braking systems that i have had to have completely refurbished (new discs, pads and brake lines all round!!!!!) Needless to say that the place i bought the car from is denying all responsibility for the cars faults( i bought it on e-bay) but are stating that i should take up the grievance with the MOT station, not them(despite that i paid them for the car!!) Any thoughts???
Regards
Kevin
Old 10-04-2004, 10:43 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KB964Cabrio
The MOT station that carried out the last MOT on my C2 MUST have been very relaxed, as they passed the MOT with a chipped Windscreen, Faulty Washer jets, Knackered Wiper blades, faulty Horn and a braking systems that i have had to have completely refurbished (new discs, pads and brake lines all round!!!!!) Needless to say that the place i bought the car from is denying all responsibility for the cars faults( i bought it on e-bay) but are stating that i should take up the grievance with the MOT station, not them(despite that i paid them for the car!!) Any thoughts???
Regards
Kevin
Thoughts?

The seller is passing the buck - they are liable if the car was not as discribed in the advert.
The MOT will simply say that the car passed on that day and no future warrenty of condition is given or implied.
The washer jets, horn and wiper blades are nit picking IMHO, but if the car came with a defective windscreen or brakes I wouldn't be happy.
I guess you didn't get a PPI, which is a big mistake if dealing with unreputable sellers. If those are the only problems with the car you can consider yourself lucky.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:23 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Why don't you ask a local car dealer to check to exthaust gasses for free, just 1 minute work for them. Take a cheap looking dealer, they are probably interested to see your car and will do this for free, may be you will get the coffe for free......

At least we would do that overhere. Just plug in the sensor and go!
Old 10-04-2004, 12:40 PM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Yep Tony, you're totally right, i should have got a PPI, let's call it expensive naivity!!! But no, i'm not that lucky, ther are a few other faults, i.e usual 964 oil leaks. I've had to replace the leaking oil cooler and 'broken' oil cooler fan and the usual silly things like gas strutts. Still after the 'expensive' service at least now i know where i stand with the car... £3,150 for what i thought was going to be a routine service was a bit of a shock though!
Ps whats WhippetWorld?
regards
Kevin
Old 10-04-2004, 03:42 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Yep Tony, you're totally right, i should have got a PPI, let's call it expensive naivity!!!
I guess we all make that mistake, - once. Fortunatly I bought through a reputable dealer with a warranty so I wasn't hard done by. Hope it was cheap at the purchase end.
£3,150
Ps whats WhippetWorld?
regards
Kevin
Whippet world is where I live
Old 10-04-2004, 07:43 PM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

I was only curious about Whippet World as i have two whippets (that don't enjoy sitting on the parcel shelf of a rear engined Porsche!!!)

and Yep, you're right once bitten, twice shy... PPI's guaranteed for all future purchases. DEFINITELY A TIP IF ANYONE ELSE IS READING THIS.... ENSURE YOU PAY FOR A PPI...IT COULD SAVE YOU THOUSANDS... TRUST ME!!!!
Old 10-04-2004, 08:07 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

I was only curious about Whippet World as i have two whippets (that don't enjoy sitting on the parcel shelf of a rear engined Porsche!!!)
www.K9community.co.uk/forums for everything you ever wanted to know about whippets

Quick Reply: MOT experiences...?