Radar/Laser Detector

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 06:55 AM
asbi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar/Laser Detector

All,
Kind of allied to the points discussion....

I am normally very careful to stick to the limits but occasionally like to take advantage of the car on appropriate country roads.

Consequently I do not need a GPS based tool for fixed cameras but somethng that will pick up the mobile Laser and Radar traps-LOOKING FOR A RECOMMENDATION.

I would consider a GPS based system but believe that it will need a speed sensor and an antenna?
Thanks,
Old 09-30-2004, 07:02 AM
Rushjob
Advanced

Location: The depths of Sherwood Forest, UK or if you're really unlucky, sat in your mirrors

The only problem I can see here is that with a laser detector,you are hoping to pick up laser scatter from cars in front of you being lasered thus giving you time to reduce speed.
The likelihood if you're using it on country roads is that there won't be anything in front of you and the laser only needs a second or less to lock on to you & give a readout.
At least with the GPS version you are informed that you are in the vicinity of a site & can reduce speed accordingly.
Andy
Old 09-30-2004, 07:02 AM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

No experience but Road Angel with Laser detector seems to be very popular.

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/whatoffer.htm maybe helpful
Old 09-30-2004, 07:16 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need a speed sensor for most GPS devices - they use the change in position to work out your speed. All of the new GPS ones have laser detection as well - Road Angel and Origin B2 are supposed to be good (I have the original Origin Blue without laser detection).

For the antenna - it's only a small 1" or so square box - mine sits nearly on the rear parcel shelf.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:18 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Search on 'origin b2' to see the problems I had. They reckon that it and 964s were just not made for eachother...
Old 09-30-2004, 07:22 AM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Originally Posted by asbi
Consequently I do not need a GPS based tool for fixed cameras but somethng that will pick up the mobile Laser and Radar traps-LOOKING FOR A RECOMMENDATION.

I would consider a GPS based system but believe that it will need a speed sensor and an antenna?
Thanks,
Is there published speed traps in Europe? How does a GPS help you for this?
Old 09-30-2004, 07:41 AM
DaveK
Race Car

They keep a database - and you regularly dial up to download an updated database. If you see a camera it doesn't alert for, you press a button and it stores it - next time you connect to download, it will also upload this new site (although I've never found a camera it didn't know about).
Old 09-30-2004, 07:42 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a Road Angel with the laser alert & I'm happy with it so far. It's a GPS version which gets your location via GPS & know's the location of all speed traps etc in the UK from an on board database that you update via in the internet every couple of weeks.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:21 AM
Christer
Race Car

I have got Snooper S6 with radar and laser alert. I have never picked up any laser on it, but it hasn't missed any cameras so far. If I had to do it all over again now, I would go for the Snooper S4 which has the GPS antenna and all the other stuff packed into the actual unit itself...so you avoid the extra cables...
Old 09-30-2004, 08:34 AM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Amazing to me that the info is published on line... Here in the states there are a lot of EZPass type toll systems, big brother knows when & where you get on & off a toll road... How long before they send you a ticket in the mail because your average speed exceeded the limit.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:47 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/

Ask Steve for his opinion if you can't find the details onsite. He's knowledgable and whenever I've asked has always responded, good site, honest reviews [dosen't like the snoopers, and they've threatened to sue on bad reviews BTW]
Plus he works with the old bill, so at least the views/tests are fairly well balanced.

kevin
Old 09-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Christer
Race Car

Hi Kevin

Your comment re snoopers piqued my interest, so I read the reviews on there....I must say that I have hardly had any of the problems reported there..certainly not the failed download dialups etc...yes I do get the K band warning usually when there is a etrol station nearby (for whatever reason) but it certainly is not frequent. I guess I was lucky then, especially as I paid £250 for it thru Costco about 10 months ago....? It certainly has not missed any cameras, truvelos or anything similar. Mind you the reviewer was a bit weird, he didn't like to set up DD's with his bank....???
Old 09-30-2004, 11:24 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Probably Old school........

I had emailed Steve about the RA and OB2 and the snooper as we both [you and I] were at Costco's a the same time looking IIRC, [ I think they'd put the Road Angel in their passport for £250 or so] I asked Steve some questions to which the replied about the way in which sometimes an independant reviewer and the weight of a larger company.......etc. I'll leave you to fill the gaps.

Anyway I still haven't got one, because I'm too busy cleaning my engine......hahahahahah....

So, I guess different strokes for different folks, now back to engine cleaning and other anoraky type things.......

kevin
Old 09-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a a simple BEL detector in my car. A few weeks ago I went for a spirited drive along a very popular stretch of road that is used almost daily by car and bike clubs. The BEL detected not one BUT THREE speed traps!!! It turned out there had been a recent fatal motorbike accident and the police had decided to stake out the place en masse! I was amazed that the detector ACTUALLY worked as well as it did, alerting me far in advance and definately saving me a ticket or two (NO question!!!!!!!!!!) Prior I had always seen it as more of a sort of talisman....
Old 09-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Christer
Race Car

Ha ha.....i have a lot of washing to do as well - got back from Cornwall almost 2 weeks ago. 700 miles of allegedly illegal speeds. Need to clean up the insect genocide......

Quick Reply: Radar/Laser Detector