Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic converter running too hot?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 02:13 AM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Catalytic converter running too hot?

While idling an initially cold engine to troubleshoot some ignition problems, after about 10 minutes I noticed what seemed like huge amount of heat from the catalytic converter - standing next to the left rear wheel was like standing next to a space heater, (I could have roasted marshmallows in wheel well) and the fender above and behind the wheel was painfully hot to the touch.

Is this normal or too hot?

For what it's worth, I'd just installed a new oxygen sensor.

Thanks!
-Dave
'90 C2
Old 09-06-2004, 03:42 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Heated air from your heat exchangers is dumped out of the car into the wheel wells, heating up your tires and rear fenders.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:01 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

I thought Jason would have advised you to not drop a marshmallow on the converter itself - the heat shield is OK, though...

Hot is good - that's when a converter is doing its job.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:31 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts

Garrett,

FWIW, on my C2 there is always huge blasts of heat from that area of the car. Not sure how much is too much, but I have read posts from users that get rid of the cat that comment that this side of the car seems a lot cooler.

And the heater vents in the wheel weels are a good thing for track/autocross junkies...a shame that don't also have vents in the front wheel wells too!

BGL
Old 09-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Johan K
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I temporarily installed a "real" cat for the yearly inspection (emission control), I noticed that I could have fried eggs in the left rear wheel well area. I don´t know about marshmallows though. This opportunity is not as apparent when I have my normal empty cat installed. The area seems a tad cooler with the empty cat. I guess it has to do with the empty cat not providing any "resistance".
Old 09-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, I won't worry further.

Perhaps also with the new oxygen sensor the cat is functioning more effectively and therefore hotter.

Jason, you're right, the right rear wheel well is pretty toasty also (not as hot as the left side, though).

Quick Reply: Catalytic converter running too hot?