Help!!!!! Distributor belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Ragin' Bajan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!!! Distributor belt replacement

Hi,
I've in the reassembly phase of replacing my distributor belt ('91 C2). Everything went smoothly until I tried replacing the pin in the primary distributor's shaft. The cog that slips on the end of the shaft can't slip on any further, and the holes don't line up so the pin won't slide in.
There are a series of 4 washers that I think I'm putting on in the wrong place. When I disassembled the main shaft, I was looking to see the washers pop out, but then when I looked down at the workbench, I saw the washers already sitting there. I had assumed that the washers slipped on the primary distributor shaft in between the cog and the main body, but now I'm not so sure. The width of the washers is roughly the same distance the holes are 'off' by.

I suspect the washers actually go inside the casing, which would free up the space. Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the distributor so I can verify where these infernal washers go?

Many, many, many, many thanks for anyone's help!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ragin' Bajan; 09-03-2004 at 11:36 PM. Reason: add image
Old 09-03-2004, 11:44 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The washers go between the gear cog and the main body (on the outside). When I tried to put the cog back onto the shaft I think I needed to use a hammer (at least I remember it being that way.)
Old 09-04-2004, 05:14 PM
Mike Hall
Intermediate

Does this help? http://www.sportwagen-club.de/TechSt...-01-00_jpg.htm

Mike
Old 09-06-2004, 10:33 AM
markc123
Instructor

I have rebuilt many of these distributors, Sometimes it helps if you lay the distributor sideways in a vise, (make sure you have the old rotor in place) and slowly close the vise until the holes line up and the pin slides in..
mark
Old 09-06-2004, 12:29 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send it to Steve Weiner in Oregon. He is good and cheap, check the 993 board for his name please. Good references so far. I placed a Original Porsche rebuilt distributor, about 400 Us $.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:33 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think garrett did a good write up when he did his a couple of months ago. Try a search. Also I think there is a tutorial on p-car.com and also in Adrians book.

Quick Reply: Help!!!!! Distributor belt replacement