Sponsored by:

Any repair for spoiler motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 02:01 PM
botoo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any repair for spoiler motor?

HI.. I am reposting this request in a new thread.

I have discovered that my noisy spoiler problem is in the motor itself. It sounds like a "coffee grinder". Nowhere can I find any information about the spoiler motor repair itself. Is there any fix for this, as it seems to be sealed? I have thought about drilling a hole somewhere to grease it, however, maybe some feedback here, first, may be a better alternative.

If there is no fix, where can I obtain a good motor? A new one is expensive, I presume, if it is even available.

Thanks for any help,
Rich
Old 09-06-2004, 02:21 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

http://p-car.com/diy/spoilerdrive/

Here is a thread to fix it. The noise is 99% being caused by the transmission, not the motor. Porsche uses a non-sealed bearing inside that corrodes (and why would it not when the spoiler is up, water will flow down the cable and into the bearing). The fix is simple, and cost is about $1.50 for a new sealed bearing.... Of course the solution from Porsche is to replace the entire transmission assembly at a cost of $325

Last edited by viperbob; 09-06-2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:25 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

I've done this DIY. It was one of the more enjoyable ones, and ended up costing next to nothing. Don't hesitate to ask if you run into any problems. Apart from basic tools, all you will need is a new sealed bearing, as Viperbob mentioned (see the DIY for the part number), some grease and finally some glue to hold the plastic casing together when you're finished.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:52 PM
botoo
Instructor

Hi.. No, I've already read the posts on the transmission repair and diagnosed the noise as in the motor. There is no noise from the transmission and it operates smoothly. The motor, even when disconnected from the transmission, makes a racket, but it operates well.

I may live with the noise until it gives out, or until I locate an inexpensive motor.

Quick Reply: Any repair for spoiler motor?