Leipzig, Stuttgart, Zuffenhausen: General Porsche knowledge Qs

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 01:55 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leipzig, Stuttgart, Zuffenhausen: General Porsche knowledge Qs

Just wondering about the significance of each of these cities. I see their names thrown around in Excellence and Panorama but from scant context I can't figure out their significance. Anybody?
Brian
Old 09-03-2004, 02:14 PM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Brian

Have a look at this; the historical stuff is covered as well as in most of the books, enough detail to satisfy and just before you get bored you can look at pretty pictures of the cars
Old 09-03-2004, 02:31 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Thanks David, I'll take a look!
Brian
Old 09-04-2004, 12:25 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Stuttgart - home city of Porsche and a lot of the town Crest of Stuttgart is is the Porsche Badge.

Zuffenhausen - the actual part of Stuttgart where the factory is. All 911 and Boxsters are on this assembly line. (some Boxsters are made in Finland). Cayenne engines are also here.

Leipzig - big new modern factory and test track in the former eastern Germany where the Cayenne final assembly and the GT assembly line are.

The other important one is Wiessach - small town outside of Stuttgart where the Design Studio and the race department are (with their own test track).
Old 09-04-2004, 07:08 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

David,
Great stuff, It amazes me, the sites that can be found on the internet.
Back in the mid 80's I was in Germany visiting a friend who lived in Stuttgart, she had a friend who worked in the Zuffenhausen factory. We had a tour, great, you actually walked right by the assembly line and spoke to the workers! At the end of the assembly line each car got a quick trip out onto the Autobahn. Talk about a job.....I'd pay to do that!
Wound up buying a 77 (Oak Green Metallic)Targa from Kremer Brothers that had been "modified" for a customer. Turns out that he 'returned" it....wasn't fast enough.....geeeze...one of the mechanics took me for a test drive....all the mechanics are test race drivers...what a ride...I bought it.

Quick Reply: Leipzig, Stuttgart, Zuffenhausen: General Porsche knowledge Qs