Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think about sell to my 964..............

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004 | 02:21 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Default Think about sell to my 964..............

My wife and I talked about it last week, should we sell the 964 and buy a 1 or two year younger one from Germany?

I would be interested to buy a 1993 or 1994 964, at least one of the last ones.

My wife loves the car, but she doesn't like a 993, so that's why we discussed it.
After the 964 ther is no Porsche she really likes, so we should stick with a 964.

The beautiful fenders/wings she loves the most. So because she is 50% owner of the car, she has to decide also in the future.

What do you guys think of the idea? Keep it or sell it and get a younger car with upgrades?
Old 08-22-2004 | 02:24 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Hi Arjan - which upgrades are you most interested in?
Old 08-22-2004 | 02:28 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Wow Rob, that's fast........

I love to have RS brakes, a LUK DMF instead of my Freudenberg [not that I have problems with that]
Lower miles/km's and may be turbo wheels 18 " like the 'Bad Boys 964'

I can buy a younger car in Germany, import it and service it my self. Germans are pretty tight on their service.
Old 08-22-2004 | 02:56 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Arjan,

Too bad your wife is not keen on a 993. I find it the most desirable Porsche around, but so do many others which explains why they are pretty expensive.

Anyway, you should consider looking for a 964 in Switzerland. Generally, the Swiss take good care of their cars.

It is fun to see how the Range Rovers disappear, and the sportscars come out, as soon as the spring arrives. Many people have a car for each season around here.

Also, the Technical Inspection is quite strict, so cars have to live up to a high standard.

Finally, the Euro is strong compared to the Swiss Franc, so you come with purchase power.
Old 08-22-2004 | 02:59 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Arjan, sounds as though your car is really sorted at this point. With another car, you may have to start over, so to speak...

Now if you are after a different color, or have issues with your car, then maybe it would be a good idea.. Sometimes I get the itch for a different color..
Old 08-22-2004 | 03:15 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Arjan,

Further to my reply, here are a few links so you can have a look for yourself...

http://www.carweb.ch

http://www.autoscout24.ch/

http://www.autoweb.ch
Old 08-22-2004 | 03:29 PM
Christer
Race Car

Arjan

Personally I would rather have a car that I 'know'. Even before I totally rebuilt mine I had none of the problems with idle and throttle response and all those other niggly problems that seem to manifest themselves in many fellow Rennlisters cars....I think mine was just built on a good day....
Old 08-22-2004 | 04:09 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Arjan - so all of those could be put on your current car! (except the mileage).

I know how you feel - I changed mine, but my reasons were:
- I wanted a coupe not a cabrio
- I wanted manual not tiptronic
- I wanted Blue not grey!

With that done, I set out to find the best one I could...
Old 08-22-2004 | 11:34 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Arjan,

I definitely wouldn't consider selling your sorted car just to buy one a few years younger. The improvements are rather modest. Besides sorting the newer car, you always run the risk of it having some sort of "terminal" illness.

Old 08-23-2004 | 01:12 AM
nine64
Racer

Arjan,
if buy a new one why not also consider other model like 3.6 turbo, RS or widebody version? Just a thought. I would agree with other if it going to be a another C2, then you already know your car inside out, why start over?
Old 08-23-2004 | 02:04 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Randall G.
Hey Arjan,

I definitely wouldn't consider selling your sorted car just to buy one a few years younger. The improvements are rather modest. Besides sorting the newer car, you always run the risk of it having some sort of "terminal" illness.

Arjan,

I totally agree with Randall. Why bother starting over again when your car is all sorted. Unless your considering a different body style like a cabrio or a targa. Or perhaps a different transmission like a Tip.

Old 08-23-2004 | 05:13 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Originally Posted by Arjan B.
should we sell the 964 and buy a 1 or two year younger one from Germany?
Have you gone mad?

Your car looks beautiful, you have a magazine article to prove that it's in excellent shape, it's fully sorted, why would you want to sell it and get a similar car?

I can imagine you would want to sell it if you wanted to buy a different car, like a 993Turbo, or a 993RS, or a 964RS (to name just a few). However, replacing it with another 964C2 doesn't really make sense: unless you find a very well sorted one I'd think that the mods you want could be done to your own car for less money than sorting your new car would cost...

Cheers,

JW
Old 08-23-2004 | 05:17 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by JW Hubbers

Have you gone mad?

JW

How I needed that laugh!

Thanks, JW!
Old 08-23-2004 | 05:20 PM
oldtimer
Racer

as Randall G and several others say , there's no point to getting a slightly younger version of what you already have . If you have the money , get an extra car and make it a 964RS. You will then be able to overdose on driving feedback and probably end up as a trackday junkie - only live once.
Old 08-23-2004 | 07:36 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Arjan, is there something we don't know about your car?

Quick Reply: Think about sell to my 964..............