A/C Compressor Swap Labor

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 09:49 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Compressor Swap Labor

Just wondering if anybody's had their A/C compressor swapped for a new unit lately, and if so how much labor was there? I wouldn't think it would be more than 2 hrs or so, but I could be completely wrong. I also know that I'll need a new receiver/dryer put in. Is that something that could be done by me after the compressor is in and set up, or does that need to be done at the same time as the compressor. Thanks in advance.
Brian
Old 08-18-2004, 05:13 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I'm guessing a bit, but :

The air con lines are held to the compressor with a bolt each - easy removal, just need 2 new o-rings. Other than that I guess the belt needs to come off, but to be honest I would expect the whole thing to be replaced in an hour. I believe you can move the compressor "in" by slackening a bolt (mine came loose once) so you can probably pop the belt off that way - then there are only a couple of bolts holding the compressor in place.

Rec. / Dryer can be done by you after the compressor is replaced - but before the recharge. It's very easy - remove the wheel lining, remove the bolt holding it to the body, undo the two pipes. Again - takes about an hour and you need 2 o-rings.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:46 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my upgrade myself, it is so very simple as Dave mentions and two hours would be a MAX number for the job.

Youcef
Old 08-18-2004, 09:04 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Evacuate and charge will take another couple of hours, but most of that is waiting time.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:41 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Youcef,
Which did you do yourself? The receiver/dryer? Do you happen to have the part number handy?
Thanks for all your help, guys.
Brian
Old 08-19-2004, 06:35 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apologies I failed to mention I only replaced the compressor and the lines that go into the wheel arch myself. I pulled the old compressor and searched for an upgraded number on the WWW once I found the Denso part number I went down to my local car wrecking/fixing/parts/ market mess and they supplied me a new Denso compressor. I had the lines crimped with new sections to remove a leak, fitted the new clutch for the A/C and I was done with the compressor. I vacuumed the system with a borrowed pump and charged with my own can of R12 and manifold. Works great.....for the system it is.

I believe you can get the part numbers from Adrians book or there was post just recently on the same issue.

Youcef
Old 08-19-2004, 06:46 AM
DaveK
Race Car

A lot of people have replaced the rec / dryer with 4-seasons (I did). Search for posts by me with receiver in the title - there are some links to places to order from.

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor Swap Labor