Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal of door speaker grills...do they pry off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Removal of door speaker grills...do they pry off?

I'm worried about breaking the stock grills because I want to be able to keep them around for reversion later on. How the heck do they come off? Is there some trick? I tried basically prying them off and they are holding on fast. Are there any tricks I need to know about?
Old 08-17-2004, 07:52 PM
deep_purple
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My aftermarket speaker covers are screwed on. Did you try to unscrew the covers?

Cheers,
ST
Old 08-17-2004, 07:53 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts

IIRC, they unscrew.

BGL
Old 08-17-2004, 07:54 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The mid-range speaker grilles snap off...the tweeter grilles unscrew, the proper way.

If you have an RS or RSA...do you have tweeters??
Old 08-17-2004, 07:56 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear speakers snap off too. I had a tough time getting my front mids out the first time. Just be careful and work your way around slowly. I don't know about you, but I don't trust 15 year old plastic.
Brian
Old 08-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

No tweeters, only the two lower panel mids. So they do just pru off? I'll give it another try.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:10 AM
AJKOK1
Instructor

mine did, with a bit of effort and a flat edge to help lever them.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used a thin, flat blade screwdriver covered with thin cloth to pry my mid speaker grills off.

Work all the way around (as far as you can anyway) slowly to loosen the grill a bit without necessarily prying the grill off the speaker much, especially if they have never been removed. Then, once you loosen the grill a bit, you can apply more pressure to get the grill to loosen even more. Finally, you should be able to get the entire grill to pop off. Keep working your way around the grill and not in one place.

Work slowly and carefully and you should be able to break that grill free without cracking it.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:06 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

I did finally get them off and replaced the speakers. I was just nervous because they were such a bitch to set free.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:15 PM
MSchett2
Instructor

If you don't mind my asking what speakers did you replace them with and were you able to get the original grill back on? I'm looking for a good replacement that will allow me to use the stock grill.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:17 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MSchett2
If you don't mind my asking what speakers did you replace them with and were you able to get the original grill back on? I'm looking for a good replacement that will allow me to use the stock grill.

I replaced them With Infinity Kapas and no, I can't use the stock grill. they have a gray wire mesh front, though, and I'm going to pull that off an paint it flat black at some point so they'll be virtually indistinguishable from the stock grills.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:59 PM
mmccray
Rennlist Member

I would love to know if anyone has a good idea on how to fasten the factory grills onto a speaker that is ever so slightly smaller than the original OEM one. Apparently the person who replaced them last time simply loved weatherstrip adhesive!!

Got to be a better way don't you think?

Marshall McCray
Old 08-20-2004, 11:40 PM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

FYI - a good matching speaker is the Blaupunkt PCx542. $40 at Crutchfield. Though the OEM cover does not fit - It comes with a black cover that is almost identical, but does have a small brushed silver "Blaupunkt" label (& Blue Dot) which works OK in the stock interior & with the stock "Blue Dot" in the dash. The change in radio & CD audio performance was significant & no wiring changes required either.

Don't confuse this with the "TSx542" which I tried first. The TS speaker is not for the OEM look. It has a See Through cover you must use - designed to put Neon behind for real "visual sound"?

Quick Reply: Removal of door speaker grills...do they pry off?