Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another fantastic Northern CA drive today!! (pics for Surf Twang!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another fantastic Northern CA drive today!! (pics for Surf Twang!)

Although missing my Wingman I nevertheless decided I couldnt wait a moment longer to 'test' my new suspension. So, after waving to the wife and kids as they left to visit relatives, I jumped grinning into the C4 and headed for some of the best roads on the planet.

I cannot describe adequately the difference the new bilsteins and H&R's have made. I cannot describe adequately the difference the new bilsteins and H&R's have made. Let me say that again in case anyone missed it: I cannot describe adequately the difference the new bilsteins and H&R's have made!!!!!!!!!! The car is literally on rails. The fun I had today was simply astounding and far, far exceeding my expectations! (Surf Twang...its over buddy - give up NOW!)

As is becoming the norm on these frequent California Backroad adventures I bumped into another Porsche enthusiast (well, not literally!) and got talking. Today I happened to pull into a rest stop overlooking the Santa Cruz Mountains and immediately spotted a gold 911S ('73 5-speed as I later found out.) The color of this car was simply stunning, perfectly epitomizing the period it was built and in sharp contrast to my Navy Blue C4...a definate photo op thinks I! Unfortunately, the sun was directly overhead and the light was difficult to gauge (my camera is so, so sensitive) However after a good 10-15 minutes of chatting to its very polite and engaging owner (whom I hope remembers to check this board) I took some pics (as is usually my want of course) to share with my friends on Rennlist!

Once it was time to get back on the road again, I followed the beautiful golden 911S for a few twisty miles and was sad to see it choose a different direction to me when we reached a crossroad. To be honest I would take an immaculate classic like this over any 996 or 997 anyday...I mean just to look at! Or even to listen to...you should have heard that gorgeous noise as it pulled away! <sighs>

Another GREAT Porsche day!!!
Attached Images           
Old 08-14-2004, 11:02 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anybody else notice that license plate? How appropriate!
Brian
Old 08-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup, someone proffited from the California Gold Rush...aparrently.

Great story Howard, we have some wonderful roads round here too, but not as scenic as the ones in your pics...kinda flat ya know.

They're not the same without my "wingman" either...but I have a new one in training. A buddy of mine just bought a 993 and when he first got it I took him back on those very roads, in his 993...ever since, he calls me about every other weekend to go for a "spirited" drive.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:16 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

Howard - looks like your spoiler is stuck! It doesn't appear all the way extended...?

Fabulous pics, as usual! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhensarl
Did anybody else notice that license plate? How appropriate!
Brian
Actually, its even better: Apparently the owner and his wife had a retriever called "nugget" and the plate was in memory of the dog! He just got a new one (dog) that he named "gold" (or golden)...

Originally Posted by garrett376
Howard - looks like your spoiler is stuck! It doesn't appear all the way extended...?

Fabulous pics, as usual! Thanks for sharing.
Your mighty observant as usual Mr Garrett!! Yes its been sticking every so often for the past few days. I keep meaning to go and lubricate with some WD40. I did this last year and it cured it up until now! Thanks!
Old 08-15-2004, 12:02 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
They're not the same without my "wingman" either...
Well, mine is just experiencing a weekend of domestic bliss! I expect to get him back into action next week (Er..Surf Twang...coming out to play next week ole buddy, ole pal?)

I did read your thread Jeff and was very sorry to hear of your loss. It was a very moving story. I hope the wheel is giving you lots of happy memories!

Old 08-15-2004, 06:37 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Very nice car, that Nugget A close relative of it was at the Nürburgring yesterday: http://ringbunny.fotopic.net/p6723046.html. I believe it was a '73S. No modifications at all, except that it ran on R-compound tyres...

Cheers,

JW
Old 08-15-2004, 10:18 AM
adamsbr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing the great pics! A friend just bought a bright green '69 911, I will now have a partner to cruise the countryside.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Surf Twang
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Well, mine is just experiencing a weekend of domestic bliss! I expect to get him back into action next week (Er..Surf Twang...coming out to play next week ole buddy, ole pal?)
I sure hope so! I've got to rig up a good car seat for our puppy. I think he's going to like Porsches.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:17 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Surf Twang
I sure hope so! I've got to rig up a good car seat for our puppy. I think he's going to like Porsches.
\

Yup, Ive heard leatherette can be mighty tasty !!

Gimme a call once life settles down next week!

Old 08-16-2004, 05:26 PM
UberScheitzer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very nice pics Howard!

Might I ask which roads you ventured?

I have explored quite a few in san diego / los angeles...

Just curious.

Do I feel a get together coming on? haha =)
Old 08-16-2004, 05:58 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Uber...these were taken on hwy 35/9 south of San Francisco. The Bay Area Rennlist (BAR) often meets at the junction of 92/35 and drives a similiar route. Although I have begun exploring different offshoots recently! The best section of road I have found is the 10-20 miles below the turnoff for Big Basin State park on Hwy9...simply amazing bends!!!

Some distance from you I'm afraid...but if your ever 'up north' ...please get in touch (sent PM with contact)

Old 08-16-2004, 09:36 PM
racer
Drifting

Great pics.. don't be shy though.. you can park a little closer.. the older ones have mellowed a bit with time and tend not to bite
Old 08-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer
Great pics.. don't be shy though.. you can park a little closer.. the older ones have mellowed a bit with time and tend not to bite
LOL! I was waiting for someone to suggest this...there were actually a couple of other cars parked between us when I got there!

Quick Reply: Another fantastic Northern CA drive today!! (pics for Surf Twang!)