Faded Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 05:01 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Kahmdus,
Did the wet sanding/polishing stage improve the finish at all?
Old 08-27-2004, 05:18 PM
NotTwinTurboYet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And finally, how many beers?

NTTY
Old 08-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Kahmdus,
Did the wet sanding/polishing stage improve the finish at all?
Yes it did - very much so in fact! However I would recommend sticking only with the 2000 grit paper. I used 1000 on the first side lense and it went right through the clearcoat along the edge (where the paint is thinner ). Once mounted you couldnt see it (but I know its there...grrr!). On the second side lense and the center reflector I used 2000 grit, 3M rubbing compound (just like T-cut) and swirl remover (no 3M so used a turtle wax swirl and scratch remover), then I applied a layer of wax before I reconnected and installed back on the car.

Another thing: use your fingers to hold the sand paper rather than a rubbing block - this way you can FEEL better whether the paper is biting, how smooth the paint is getting and how much pressure to apply.

One other thing I did was to tie up some of the wires using nylon ties - it wont serve any real practical use, but it will allow you to drive the car without the lenses and not scratch the paint or damage to wires/connectors. Afterwards its nice to know everything is tidy..even if its out of sight!

I think the results speak for themselves!

Thanks to everyone for starting a great thread and providing the motivation and 'know-how' to complete this, it looks just fantastic!
Old 08-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NotTwinTurboYet
And finally, how many beers?

NTTY
Final tally still not in yet....

Old 08-27-2004, 05:30 PM
NotTwinTurboYet
Racer

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Final tally still not in yet....

Anyway, good job, that remembers something to me about the paint everywhere in the kitchen
What honey? You don't appreciate that much your new pink kitchen, is it what you're saying???

NTTY
Old 08-27-2004, 05:55 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Funny that you mention the kitchen. I painted in the garage and then moved into the kitchen when dried to finish curing (so I could pull the 964 into the garage). I sent my wife the early pics via email so she could see my progress on Wednesday...IMMEDIATELY I get a phone call asking me if I was painting in the ktchen!!! Why do wives seem to have such little faith?

Last edited by Kahdmus; 08-27-2004 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:28 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Howard,

Congratulations with the stunning result. Your car looks even better now.

I spent my lunch break today at the DIY store buying paint. So, tomrrow at the crack of dawn my rear lenses will be in for a bit of TLC.

Have a nice weekend!
Old 08-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jens! I am dying to see how yours turn out! What paint did you buy? Will you be posting pics?

Cheers,

--H
Old 08-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Howard: I want to see the results. I may have to do it to make the Turtle look better. If I can't be fast, I might as well have a car that looks good.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:47 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Wow, she looks beautiful Howard. Great job. I don't know of any other "upgrades" this inexpensive that make such a huge difference.
Brian
Old 08-27-2004, 08:54 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Brian and Tom W.

Tom - let me know when you want to take a look. I need to go past your place in the v. near future to buy some supplies from Camerons (I've been telling Arlene I need to drive up there for 2 weeks now).

I also want to clean my air flow meter, ISV and some other minor things. So if you want to do some painting and misc. DIY anytime soon I'm definitely up for it!
Old 08-28-2004, 02:35 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Howard, I leave tomorrow for Korea and don't get back until Thursday. Will you be around next weekend? I'll be doing cars next weekend as I need to try and polish out the bits I painted on the Turtle and then clear coated.

I can help on the ISV, my 993 ISV was frozen in place with carbon when I first went to clean it a couple years ago.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:39 AM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Howard,

The shopw is about to begin. I will take a some before/after photos during the process.

The paint I bought is manufactured by Dupli-Color. I bought a red Transparent Acrylic Lacquer plus a 2-Coat Clear Lacquer.

The beers are Kronenbourg 1664.

BTW, following advise from Thomas Linser, I will also paint my rusty wheel hubs with zinc paint.

Take care
Old 08-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom - I should be around, sounds good! Send me an email when you get back in town and we can set something up!

Jens - Good luck! I'm looking forward to the pics. BTW, is that French beer? I think I had some recently!! Refreshing, but I still prefer the Boddies for 'serious' jobs! LOL!

Cheers,
Old 08-28-2004, 12:20 PM
JoeW
Pro

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
IMMEDIATELY I get a phone call asking me if I was painting in the ktchen!!! Why do wives seem to have such little faith?
My own beloved claims it is experience ... I think it's the infallible female crap detector.

Thanks, Howard, and to all. This is a great addition to the 'List. I'm not going to do this till winter -- looks like a good bad weather project -- but that's what bookmarks are for!!

Joe

Quick Reply: Faded Tail Lights