Sponsored by:

Cab top fuse blown

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cab top fuse blown

Yesterday I went out the car and decided to put the top down. The top unlocked from the windshield hearder and raised up about 6 inches and then just stopped. I pushed the button again (both towards open and close) but there was no movement and no noise whatsoever from the motors. I then checked the fuse/relay box and found that fuse #13 was blown. Since the relay listing did not list a relay for the top I just pushed on them all to make sure they were seated correctly. After replacing the fust the top seems to open and close fine but I am concerned because fuses do not blow on their own so there must be something wrong in the system somwhere. Shoud I replace the relay (which relay is it, I searched and some have said #21, is this correct) or would you most likely point at the cab top control unit
Old 08-08-2004, 10:42 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 462 Posts

Howdie neighbor! Didn't see ya' down at the last Q autocross! Going in to this month's?

If the top works fine, and the fuse does not blow again, I would not worry too much. That's why the fuse is there, to protect a surge which may have happened with the latch motors running, then the main top motors activating. If it blows again, then I'd start going through the systems.

Relay #21 is for the sunroof - I don't think it's for the convertible top... it's confusing on the wiring diagram, but if you've got a #21, that's the one.

Last edited by garrett376; 08-08-2004 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:23 AM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'llI probably won't be there. I just had a top-end rebuild finished and I doubt I'll be past the break in mileage in time. Anyhow, with regards to the relay being for the sunroof, Fuse #13 says "sunroof/convertible top" on the fuse grid so I figured that relay #21 that says "sunroof" may also be dual purpose since you can't have a sunroof and cab top on the same car.

Quick Reply: Cab top fuse blown