Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with '92 C2 enroute, wadda I do when it gets here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 05:52 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DonW... I called them as you suggested, got some stuff coming. There is a recall that hasn't been done according to their records, AT07 has to do with steering shaft.. Wonder why that didn't pop up eith the PPI? I live in Stuart Jan 1st to May 1st.. I'll have the Porsche driven or shipped to me for while I'm there.. I gotta use the Tahoe to tow the boat down. Maybe we'll hook up down south.
Later
Old 08-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SNOWBIRD
Thanks guys. I just ordered Adrians book.
Arjan... Dunno what turbo talk is???
PC2... okay... so what's the difference between my Tiptronic and the 'S' ?
Berkley.... I'm within a couple years of you... It's not a toy? Rut Ro, did I make a boo boo?
964Dawg.... I will presume you added that stuff cause you wanted to, not because the car needs it...

Still haven't seen picts of another with the piping on the seats..
Here's some picts of her...

Nice car & welcome to the group! It's a good place to hang out!

I don't think the piping on the seats was a speacial order as it's pretty common on European cars. Probably down to the US importer only taking ones without.

I think that the Tip on a 964 is only 4 speed, but on a 993 it's 5 speed? 964's never had the gear controls on the wheel.

The recalls will only pop up if you have the PPI done t a dealership. My old C4 had the AT07 recalll too. It relates to the universal joint under the dash. Aparently this had a chance of developing small cracks, hence the recall. Most of these should have been checked by the dealers during regular service, but I suspect with low mileage cars being in storage etc, it could have been overlooked.

Your car won't have the revised cylinder heads, but that does not mean it will deveolope a leak. A 964 fault that seems to be grossly overrated! My '91 is bone dry at 65K miles.

Hope you enjoy the car - the best Porsche by far!! Good choice.

If you've not already checked it out, visit John Miles' 964 site for info & plenty of pics! www.porsche964.co.uk

Andy
Old 08-06-2004, 11:06 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One last point re oil leak. Here's Adrian's explanation of how and why it happened in 89 C4s, 90, and some 91 964s:

"Put simply, Porsche engineering believed that they could get a good cylinder
head seal without using a seal, jus tmetal to metal with precision
engineering of the mounting surfaces.
This concept was tested and it appeared to work. However what they did not
count on was the fact that 964 3.6 litre engine ran hotter than what was
expected. During cooling down the different parts of the engine expand and
contract at different rates. Unfortunately Porsche miscalculated with
heating and cooling rates of the mating surfaces and well they were not the
same and this left a gap sometimes.
Now keep in mind you also need oil. Porsche kept the old method of mounting
head to block which used long studs (which break) and o-rings which fail.
End result is oil can get out between the gap created between head and
block.
Old technology mixed with new technology and an unexpected problem."
Old 08-07-2004, 02:47 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nobody mention the "real" requirements for 964 ownership which include lowering springs, aero mirrors and a G pipe!
Old 08-07-2004, 03:10 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Youcef
Nobody mention the "real" requirements for 964 ownership which include lowering springs, aero mirrors and a G pipe!
You forgot to add the "Holy" AirBox.

Old 08-07-2004, 09:33 PM
964Dawg
Intermediate

Peter,

"SLippery Slope" - Well said - this car is addictive as h____ and the most fun I have ever had. I am anxious to get involved with PCA DE. I have been a member of PCA for 2 years, but this fall will be my first DE. I am sure I'll come back with a wichlist as long as my arm.

Snowbird, when does the car arrive?
Old 08-08-2004, 03:59 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Mike, Thanks for the pics, they are nice!

Turbo talk is language and words who often are used on young kids forums like Honda CRX or VW Golf forums. I hope you understand it now.

Have fun with your new toy!!
Old 08-08-2004, 12:37 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

964Dawg: Car should arrive towards the end of this coming week... 12th-14th...
Already buyin stuff for it... Trying to decide which car cover to buy, may get 2. I live on the bay here in Jersey, there's salt air all the time and the car will spend it's time in my open garage which is also my workshop so there's always saw dust etc... Jan thru May it will be parked outside in the Florida sun, and it definately needs something down there or it will be green with pollen from mid March to May.. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:03 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Snowbird, as you probably know one of the big industries in FL is car storage. Haven't looked into it myself because I have a 2car garage in Naples, but there are several places that will store the car; start it up occasionally, or trickle it and leave it...whatever your wishes are. Friend of mine uses it for his car (non-porsche) and he likes the service.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:33 PM
nine64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Snowbird,
Welcome!
my car have red piping with black leather int.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:37 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

IT'S HERE But some questions:

I can't seem to get the A/C to work smoothly... It changes speeds and outlets with seemingly no reason. Then to compund the issue the controls are different than those in the manual! I have two AC buttons, the manual shows just one.

The there's this button.. The one on the far right. My big idiot light with the exclamation point stays on (without any other warning lights) until I push this button. I found no mention of it in the manual.

I will assume it is an overide for that big idiot light. But I ssumed the top would go up and down evenly 4 minutes after it rolled off the truck too, and look where that got me!
The car is sweet and an absolute blast to be in.. Oh, does it ever turn heads too!
Old 08-15-2004, 09:09 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 611 Likes on 467 Posts

If the big exclamation mark light stays on, then you are missing a light bulb somewhere else for a separate warning light that the previous owner, or someone, removed. Do a search and you'll find a post (again, one of mine ) showing the warning lights that should appear when you turn the ignition on before starting. I'll be you're missing one, or several, bulbs that are displaying a warning in conjunction with the master "exclamation" warning light which you are having to cancel each time you start the car.

Bottom line is that the master "exclamation" warning light comes on WITH another warning bulb. You can cancel the big "!" but not the actual warning bulb - which is why many stinkers remove the bulb to "fix" the problem.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:13 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 611 Likes on 467 Posts

Regarding the A/C - the top snowflake turns the A/C on high - meaning the compressor is engaged, and the blowers are on max - regardless of their setting on the blower fan speed selector. The small snowflake engages the compressor for A/C activation based on the temperature selector and the ambient temp. Turning on the small snowflake, with the temp selector on the blue dot will keep the compressor engaged the longest, doing the most cooling possible.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:35 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

all the idiot lights work at startup... But I think it the top alarm, that idiot light is on
Old 08-17-2004, 12:20 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome, Snowbird!

If the big "!" light is on and everything else shuts off as you start rolling, then you probably don't have an issue. You can actually turn off the big light with the "!" switch on the console ... but that can get tiresome. The solution is to go to your local p-car dealership and see if you can get one of the techs to bring out his "Hammer" (diagnostic tool) to reset your lights. It takes a minute and sometimes they'll do it for free.

The Hammer will also read fault codes and if there IS a problem, the tech can advise you of it. The big "!" light sometimes goes off simply because your battery has run down. Give it a charge and regular work out--that should keep it in check. If the light does come on again, there may be a current drain ... but you can cross that bridge when you get to it. There are plenty of threads covering this issue but hopefully it was just a matter of letting the car sit too long.

In the meantime, enjoy your ride. I've experienced a number of these little niggles (as the Brits on the board like to call them) but there's plenty of help available online and, of course, Adrian's book is a "must have" to help navigate your way through 964 ownership in style.

Quick Reply: Newbie with '92 C2 enroute, wadda I do when it gets here?