Sponsored by:

cold cabins?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 11:14 AM
BlackCab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold cabins?

I'm trying to get an idea of how cold people's A/C is blowing in their 911's. The cabin doesn't really get cold like it does in my other car. You can hear the fan speed behind the dash cranking up appropriately as you turn the **** from 1 to 4, but the air coming through the vents never really blows much stronger(although it is equal and cold from all vents if you put your hand up to each one).
What I'm asking is, should my back still be sweating after driving around for a while with the windows up and A/C on? I have no personal medical problems with excessive heat generation that I know of.
Is that how everyone's 911 is?
Old 07-23-2004, 11:55 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

My A/C works pretty well and keeps my interior cool on hot days. But its not as strong as most American cars. Over the 4th of July weekend, it was in the high 90's and I was comfortable but had to keep the A/C on full blast (fan setting 4 and recirculate on) to keep it that way.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:19 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Blackcab, My '93 works pretty well & don't know how long since it's been checked. If it's in high 80's/90's & been in the sun, it'll take some time to really cool off the heat accumulated & held in the seats. You can always give it a shot of refridgerent.
FWIW Even my '03 Escalade EXT takes time to cool the seats when it's been sitting in direct sun.
Good luck
Bill
Old 07-23-2004, 12:44 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I just had my air con recharged and it was checked with a temperature probe, I can say :

On a fairly warm day (for the UK anyway) with ambient temperature about 25 C, my air con was blowing a temperature between about 11 and 13 C as the compressor cycled on and off. It did get down to about 9 but didn't stay there. Until I check the manual at home, I can't remember if that's the right temp though.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:02 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm - which according to the thread on here, isn't really cold enough. Should have been 5-10 degrees C. I wonder if they put the right amount of gas in?
Old 07-23-2004, 03:31 PM
BlackCab
Advanced

ok, sounds like mine is pretty similar to your experiences. But man, honda A/C will freeze you out within seconds (but admittedly doesn't look as good doing it ) ) Thanks..
Old 07-24-2004, 06:12 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

German AC systems are much better than they were in the 80s. They were aftermarked "laughers" in the 70s. By the 90s they actually worked pretty well, but sill lagged considerably behiind the Japanese and American cars. I do not sweat in my C2 on hot Atlanta days. I remember sweating when I was driving a 1980 Mercedes. My 86 Mercedes that I still drive is actually pretty good. What year is your car? Are you running R12 or R134a? Your black convertable roof probably contributes to the problem.

Some suggestions:

Clean the condensor (it probably has bugs and dirt restricting air flow)

Look at the suction line on your compressor after driving on a hot humid day. It should be cold and wet. If it is not, your charge is low or your compressor is worn. A competant AC tech with a set of gages can tell pretty quickly what the problem is.

Put the system in "recirculation". It helps, and unless you smoke in the car, you still get plenty of fresh air.

Last edited by springer3; 07-24-2004 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Spellcheck is not working!
Old 07-24-2004, 12:45 PM
BlackCab
Advanced

I have a 1990 C2 running R12. Thanks for the suggestions...sounds like a good project for the weekend...

Quick Reply: cold cabins?