Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Felt Replacement

Old 07-22-2004, 07:32 PM
mmccray
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Felt Replacement

Anybody replaced the felt on their sunroof? I have both the front and rear sections to do. After 14 years and a little too much rubbing it's time to freshen up.

I can't quite figure out how to get to the one on the rear of the sunroof. It's either closed - or when open - inaccessible. Maybe the headliner has to come out?

Also, it appears that the felt may be glued in place, at least on the front section that I can get too.

Anybody know what stuff does the factory use to install it?

Appreciate any advice you can give before I dig into it.

Thanks!!!
Marshall McCray
1990 C2
1987 944S
Old 07-22-2004, 07:41 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts

I think there is a procedure at the Pelican Parts site, but I don't have a link.

My understanding is that its a real PITA. The head liner has to come out to give you acess to the roof mechanism, which is required to get the roof out.

My wrench said it was all sorts of fun, and after all that, the rear section does not fit quite right.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:13 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine last year. A search should yield some good results.

You need to unzip the headliner above the rear window (I bet you wondered what that zipper was for eh?) to access the sunroof motor to disconnect. Then you need to pull down on the underlining of the sunroof which is only snapped into place. The sunroof is fairly easy to remove, but requires two people to easily replace, although you can struggle by yourself and get it done if your patient although I would reconmmend covering the roof with something to avoid scratches! I ended up not using the recommended Wurths glue (even though I ordered it) and used Permatex instead, which was easier to apply from the tube.

I posted a thread at the time and got some great advice from Jeff and garrett if I recall. Anyway, the thread can be viewed here.

The pelican parts diy is here

One thing....ORDER REPLACEMENT CLIPS NOW before you start (if you havent already)!!! They WILL break! The part number is: 911 564 123 00.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how it goes!
Old 07-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Carl Muckenhirn
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found the way to ensure that the back lines up correctly with the front is to install the front part first and then put in the sunroof (Sorry, as Howard mentions you gotta take out the sunroof, but it's really not that tough) and mark the side where the front piece ends with a white-board marker.

carl.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sunroof Felt Replacement