Sponsored by:

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a GREAT place to buy your car from!! I used to dream of buying a car there when I was but a nipper!

Brings back great memories of being 16-18 and going for trips to Strattons with some mates just to cruise the showroom and drool ...
I think that a lot of people used to do the same thing as the place was often packed on rainy weekends with fathers and sons all wearing the same dopey expression!

As an aside, I noticed that Wilmslow was now full of various dealerships for top marques when I was home some months ago...nothing as large and appealing as the old Strattons though!

Thanks for the info and nostalgia John!
Old 07-23-2004, 05:31 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Howard,

It will interest you to know that the experience of buying from Strattons was not all it might be...

The pre-sale service seemed to consist of disconnecting the vent pipe from the tail lights and stuffing a crisp packet into the OBD socket!

The car had several delivery faults (it was 4 years old) such as failed thermostat (Wow! These 911s run HOT, I thought!), poor idle (where I have heard that before?) and failed oxygen sensor. To be fair, they did put them all right. (In the end...)

I got my own back by giving them a piece of my mind about my trade-in car. They took my Suzuki Cappuccino (yes, really - from a Cappuccino to a 964 overnight!) and then called me to ask for the (removable) aerial. I told them it was definitely in the boot. In fact, I had NEVER TAKEN IT OUT OF THE DAMN BOOT and were they seriously chasing me for a ten quid aerial after I just bought a £30k car from them?!

Some time later, I found it in a wardrobe...

Old 07-23-2004, 05:46 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

LOL! Funny story! Still...that dealership was a thing of schoolboy fantasies and beats simply buying from Auto Trader! Does your car still have the "Strattons" sticker in the rear window? Those were real 'status' back in the day! My sister always wanted one to put in the back of her rusty mini clubman!
Old 07-23-2004, 05:52 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I'm not a sticker fan, H, but I did have it in there for a few years. I had to remove the rear shelf to get it out.

I, too, used to hang around that place on those rainy weekends! I was driving my Hillman Avenger in those days!

BTW, Stratstones have a new (well it WAS new when it opened) Ferrari and Porsche place just out of Wilmslow. At least they did last time I was there. I don't seem to get out that way much these days, for some reason.

Edit: Look what I found...
Old 07-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Awsome stuff! Thanks for sharing that John...good god the memories it brings back!!!!!

BTW, Stratstones have a new (well it WAS new when it opened) Ferrari and Porsche place just out of Wilmslow.
PS. Next time I'm out you bring a flask of tea and we can meet up over there on a rainy saturday!
Old 07-24-2004, 02:58 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Old 07-24-2004, 04:03 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

giving it a go