Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am having the day from hell (and it's only 8am!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 04:13 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I am having the day from hell (and it's only 8am!)

This morning, I decided to check the receiver / dryer I fitted last night, to see if it was stamped (maybe the wrong flow sticker was on it.....). So before work, I whipped the front wheel off and checked it - and found it's not stamped at all. It has a part number sticker on the bottom of it (40033278) which is not the part number I ordered (and I'm not convinced it's a 4-seasons part). Not worth sending it back since postage was more than the part.

So - I put the wheel back on and off I go to work.

Half way there, some idiot pulls over to the side of the road - next to a roundabout - which got a toot from me. At which point, my ABS and traction lights came on. This is a problem I've had for a while, which I thought I'd fixed by cleaning the earths. Guess not.

So, I carry on to work. And when I'm nearly here I think - damn, I don't remember putting my wheel nut key in the car...... and, it seems I didn't. And it's apparently nowhere to be found on the driveway, or with my tools. So it was no doubt still attached to the wheel when I left home. It's not the standard Porsche one - it's McGard or something like that. And no - I don't have a spare key. And I'm not sure where the key number is to get a spare.....

So - I've confirmed my horn / warning light problem isn't fixed, my receiver dryer is probably the wrong one and I can't get my wheel off to replace it anyway. In fact, I can't get any of my wheels off.

I'm sure the day can only get better. Anyone know the best way to get the wheels off if I can't get a replacement key? Take it to a mechanic and pay lots of labour I guess?
Old 07-21-2004, 09:58 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Dave:

I saw this in my future, and I replaced all the wheel locks with standard wheel nuts. I figure if somebody wants my wheels, they will steal the entire car, and take their time getting all the parts.

If the locks are like the factory ones, there is a collar that spins if you attempt to turn the nut. I believe that could easily be taken off using a cold chisel. Just go slowly and carefully, and your wheels should not be harmed.

If the locks are the type that require a special socket, I would find a socket that is slightly smaller, and simply drive it onto the nut. You should get enough torque to remove the nut.

In either case, you ruin the lock. I don't know of a way to get the locks off without destroying them.

Please see my post related to your receiver/dryer. Do not install a unit with reversed inlet and outlet. That is a very bad move indeed.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:02 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I've found the code number for the locks - so I've ordered some new keys. It's the socket type (they are not Porsche ones) - but I think you're right, I will probably go back to normal wheel nuts at some point.

I saw your post about the rec / dryer. The new one is on there - but I don't plan to get it charged. I'll order the porsche one and fit that. It's a bit annoying that it's not stamped because it might turn out that it's just got the wrong sticker on it - but no way to prove that.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:25 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Dave:

This whole receiver/dryer business does not seem right. It is difficult to imaging the Honda would have two parts that fit, but would cause major harm if mixed up. Also, I have never seen a receiver/dryer that did not have the direction marked. Surely the supplier can tell you which port is which. If not, perhaps an AC shop that works on Hondas could tell you the correct flow direction on their cars. That would save you a lot of trouble.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:28 AM
DaveK
Race Car

That might be an idea - although when I first tried to get this part, I tried a Honda guy that I know - and it turns out that the Hondas which are supposed to use the same part were never sold in the UK. Typical!

When I told 4-seasons that mine doesn't have "In" stamped on it they just said that they'd changed the way they make them!
Old 07-21-2004, 12:02 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

I hope tomorrow it will be better for you..................
Old 07-21-2004, 02:49 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dave,

Rotten day, but I thought it was going to be worse when I started reading. I thought the guy at the roundabout was going to turn nasty or even run into your car.

Maybe it's just me...
Old 07-21-2004, 02:57 PM
DaveK
Race Car

True, could have been a lot worse I guess. It just all seemed to happen together within the space of about 10 minutes.

I am happy to say the day didn't get any worse (in fact it got a bit better) so life isn't all that bad!

Quick Reply: I am having the day from hell (and it's only 8am!)