Foglight Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 10:49 AM
asbi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foglight Replacement

All,
I have to replace a foglight due to a cracked lens, I now have the new lamp and am ready to replace the cracked unit.

Do I replace the whole unit or should I re-use the back housing from the existing unit which will presumably make the job easier?

Is this a straightforward job? is there anything I need to watch out for?
Thanks,
Kevin.
90 C2 Marine Blue
Old 07-12-2004, 12:48 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Either way would be fine. It's a very straight forward job. I believe even the owner's manual have instructions.

Old 07-12-2004, 12:57 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Forgot to add one very important tip: Try to avoid touching the new bulb with your hands, you might leave oil residues that will shorten the life of the bulb.

Old 07-12-2004, 03:15 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I've replaced a fog light on my car for a cracked lens. You have to swap the whole assembly. The lens is not removable. After I installed mine, I installed some plastic protection. I didn't like the cost of replacing lenses. I used Stonguard from Zims in Texas. I installed the stonguards on both my fogs and H4's. 7+ years and no more cracks. ;-)

Peter's reminder on not touching the bulb is important. The oil on you hands will cause the bulb to burn out quickly. If you do touch it, wash it down with brake cleaner before installing.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Farp
Instructor

Default Re: Foglight Replacement

Originally posted by asbi
Is this a straightforward job? is there anything I need to watch out for?
Yes - I did this recently and it's very straightforward. However (and I reveal this in the spirit of Rennlist and to stop someone else looking like a dimwit) the mounting bolt on one side just turned and turned and I convinced myself that the encapsulated nut had come loose and I'd never get the thing out.... Turned out I was turning the adjuster. The mounting bolt on that side is a little lower and more deeply recessed. I re-used the same backing-plate and it's worked a treat.
I could make all sorts of excuses but I wont bore you with them...

Mike

Quick Reply: Foglight Replacement