Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 12:59 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Garrett,
Is that the leaking diff lock actuator leaking brake fluid in the picture above?
Old 07-10-2004, 01:36 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 578 Likes on 441 Posts

Good spot Youcef - from the records, the lateral lock actuator was replaced some time ago. It is dry there now, so I assume it is oil (or brake fluid) that leaked at the time of replacement, and caused the removal of the bronze coating grease. Can you tell I'm a positive guy?! Since it was dry, I'll not worry at this time. I'll check it in 1.5 years when I go to change the brake fluid again!
Old 07-10-2004, 06:34 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, rear plugs are both out and I am having a quick cuppa whilst the remaining fluid drains out.

I will admit however, ahem, that good old kahdmus syndrome did strike in part: as had I expected more resistance from the drainage plug ( I removed the filler plug first as recommended) I had left the oil pan a good arms reach away so I could wrestle the plug. When the plug came loose I reached for the oil pan very quickly and removed the plug in the middle (its one of those round pans with the spout if you know the type) then very quickly, and quite impressed with my own dexterity, I slid it under and began to watch the oil come out. However....I had forgotten, in my haste, to remove the little plug on the side that expedites the air flow and of course the oil bubbled all over the side of the pan and out onto the garage floor!!! Wife is gone till tomorrow, so hopefully I can clean the floor and dispose of the new sweater (a gift last week) that got a wee bit exposed! LOL!

All-in-all, aside form oil on the floor, this seems very straightforward. I purchased a liquid hand pump with duel tubes and it should make refilling a snap.

I haven't figured out where the front plugs are yet however.

More money you guys are saving me on this simple DIY - thank god and J. Dunkle for Rennlist!

--H
Old 07-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Two other questions occur to me:

1) The oil looked pretty dirty - I had the clutch replaced last year - would they not have replaced the tranny fluid then? I couldnt remember and cant find the reciept in my office!

2) There was a fair build up of shavings on the drainage plug magnet - what is this indicative of and should I be concerned? (lay terms please. LOL!)

Thanks,
Old 07-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, rear is complete and front is draining as I type!

I put around 4.5 vs 4.02 that was in the book. However I wanted to account for the run-off as I pulled the tube out. Does this sound ok?

Front magnet on drainage plug had none of the shavings found on the rear.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:00 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Howard..!

Sounds just fine!!! Also - just read your previous posts...

Nope - not all shops will change the tranny fluid when they do a clutch - unless you asked for it specificially or had the input shaft seal changed, if that was leaking...

Also - a small "mound" of metal filings on the drain plug is normal. There will be more or less depending on when the fluid was changed. However - larger pieces are a problem - but, it sounds like yours was normal from your description....

Keep going - and I sure hope you are taking pics for the rest of us - or have Ben out there giving you moral support..!! Just read that thread too - and what a terrific post and pics.. Yep - it sure looks like your 964 smiles at Ben. I don't blame it .. ...!

Old 07-10-2004, 10:57 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like things went well. I hope you used new crush washers when you installed the plugs. Also, the fill on the front diff should get a crush washer even though it did not have one...

As John said, a little metal shaving at the magnet is normal. That is why they put in a magnet. I also like the Mobil 1 choice. It is what I have found to work best, and quietest with a LWF setup...
Old 07-11-2004, 12:27 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well ALL DONE! Did the motor oil as well as the tranny and replaced the oil filter. Did not change the fill washers at all! Only the drains - Whoops! :-(

Regarding the rear tranny oil change: The fact that I put in more than the 4.02 and some splodged out is ok?? Not sure how accurate the measure needs to be...if at all!

Car seems to be running very well afterwards, can't tell any difference shifting although I had been hoping it may be slightly smoother with new fluid!

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 07-11-2004, 01:32 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 578 Likes on 441 Posts

I am sure it's fine to have a bit more - I didn't even keep track of mine when I filled it (could be 6 quarts in there!) - I figured it was like other cars I've worked on - put in as much to the fill plug level! Your car may have been tilted a bit from right-left direction, allowing you to fill more that usual because it was slanted down on the passenger side. I doubt it's going to cause trouble. Hope not, at least!

Don't you love the smell of gear oil?!! Maybe sythetic doesn't stink as bad...?
Old 07-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by garrett376

Don't you love the smell of gear oil?!! Maybe sythetic doesn't stink as bad...?
Strangely enough I DO actually like the smell of the FRESH oil! What came out wasnt so good however!
Old 01-20-2024, 05:16 AM
nabfa1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by nabfa1; 01-20-2024 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid