Low pressure turbos

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low pressure turbos

All,

Is there any reason why low pressure turbos would not be suitable for enhancing the performance of the N/A 964 engine, in a similar way to supercharging? Normal high pressure turbos obviously run lower compression ratios, but low pressure ones and superchargers can run with the standard compression ratio (I believe I am right in assuming that?).

I'm just asking as a academic query, as my Volvo has got a low pressure turbo and gives about 20% more power/torque in the important midrange compared to the N/A engine. I'm sure on of the more technical people will say why this principal couldn't be applied on a cost effective basis to our engines!

Regards,

i.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen it done on a 3.2 Carrera to good effect. I suspect a supercharger conversion is simpler, though, and will give a similar result.

Cheers
Old 07-09-2004, 11:43 AM
C4TT
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Iain,
I'm not a guru, but I've owned both turbo cars and supercharged cars. Both types where aftermarket additions, so non boosted cars built to handle the boost.
I would say you could get away with it for a short while, but you would be better off prepping the motor for the boost. The NA setup will eventually fail under the pressures, and greater temps. The engine case itself wont have an issue as it is the same as many later high hp turbo and NA cars. The rest would eventually fry...

The reason you would supercharge, is that it is a simpler install that is eventually removable if needed. The turbo requires lots of plumbing and somewhat permanent modification. So a "simple" turbo install is not that simple afterall...
If you do it, check the Protomotive web site:

http://www.geocities.com/protomotive/

One reason not to do it, is the worry factor. You'll be nervous everytime you take the car out that it will pop under acceleration. Let me tell you that can kill the ownership experience. Plus you'll want to turn the boost up, and want more etc... How do I know? Well my car makes 650HP, and I could easily want more...

I bought my car fully prepped for the twin turbos. They rebuilt the motor, lowered compression, stronger connecting rods, more fuel, more spark etc... (And I'm still nervous!!)

So I would save the cash, and either buy someone elses money pit, or buy a 91 Turbo...

Good luck..
Old 07-09-2004, 11:44 AM
C4TT
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Phil Raby
I've seen it done on a 3.2 Carrera to good effect. I suspect a supercharger conversion is simpler, though, and will give a similar result.

Cheers
Similar Horse Power results, but the torque of a turbo car will usually be higher!!!
Old 07-10-2004, 01:48 AM
InterSpool
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.turboperformance.com/Pors...C/993sckit.htm

Wait for the vid to download in the box. This thing sounds pretty mean and it works for the 964. Positive displacement SC's are the bomb, 100x better than centrifugal. You can probably run a safe boost of 8-9 PSI without doing any type of internal modification.

Quick Reply: Low pressure turbos