How do you jack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How do you jack?

Apologies to the Americans among you for this title...

I'm doing some research into jacking up Porsches (I get all the best jobs) and would be grateful on feedback on how people do it.

So, what's your preferred method? Factory jack, trolley jack, bottle jack, ramp, mother in law, etc? And where you do you position it? Under a suspension arm, under the engine, sill, mother in law, etc?

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2004, 10:21 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Until recently, I used a trolley jack and only on the jacking points under the sill.

However - a couple of months ago, I used the factory jack (can't remember why) and actually found it a lot better. Slots nicely into the jack points, and doesn't really take long to jack up / let down. So now I always use that.

If I could get a ramp, I would.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Thomas Linser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil!

This question inspires me to Jack Daniels!!!

No seriously...factory Jack

Gruetzi

Thomas
Old 07-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Phil, floorjack underneath the engine for the rear. (per Tom W and P-car DIY) Done this many times now and no problems.

Use the jackpoints for the front(unless you got any better suggestions?)
Old 07-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW Phil (Finbarr)...only YOU could come up with the title of this post! I knew it was yours when I saw it!!! LOL!

Old 07-09-2004, 12:46 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

I use the rear jack points with a small floor jack.

Allows me to get both front and rear wheels off the ground when changing to track tires and vis-a-versa.

BGL
Old 07-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used to use a cheap Sears floor jack. After my car slipped off it at the track (due to metal to metal contact required by my lowered car), I bought the superb AC DK-20 jack. It's not light, but I still take it to the track as it's a wonderful jack.

To get the car up on jackstands (I use the AC ones with the flat round tops) I start at the rear and jack it up using the seam in the case of the engine (and a hockey puck cushion). This is no problem as the engine undertray is removed. After putting the jack stands at the rear jack points, I move to the front and jack the front up using one of the front jack points. I put the jack stands under the point where the front A-arms are attached to the chassis. It takes about 10 minutes to jack up the car and get it on stands using this method.

Some people don't like to use the engine case as a jack point. I've done it many times on both my 964 and 993 without issue. I know many, many others who do so too. One other benefit of using the engine case - if you start to jack the car up and the engine goes up but the car doesn't move, you know your motor mounts are shot and it's time for new ones. I replaced mine with the RS mounts.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:53 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I'm swapping wheels, rear jack points with floor jack just like BGL. If it's a sway bar adjustment, jack the engine and then jack stands. Front requires two jacks and jack stands. For lowered cars, you'll need to drive up on some 2 x 4's to allow sufficient clearance for all but the Factory jack. And ramps for oil changes, although a couple of 2 x 4's might be sufficient on a graded driveway.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:09 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

My floor jack won't fit under the car. So I will either drive up on 2x4's or use the factory jack to raise the car slightly first. I try to use the car's proper jacking points, but have occasionaly used the engine to get the car up on jack stands.

Speaking of such... I HATE getting under the car when it's on jack stands. It's not a solid connection (like with the factory jack), and it seems like the car could easily slip off a jack or jack stand - especially when you're wrenching on the car with some force.

I know that they make adapters for floor jacks to fit the jacking hole in the 993's. Are they the same in the 964's? Does anyone make an adapter for the 964 jacking hole?

Thanks.

Erick
Old 07-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eric: You can get adapters to fit the holes but they are not cheap. The nice heavy duty plastic ones are $70 each. The metal ones are about half the price. The downside of either is that it makes it even harder to fit a jack under them. All they do is provide a larger, flat space as the jack point.

Here's one of the plastic pads (from the Pelican site):

The flast topped jack stands I recently got (look here) have such a large platform ((about 4 inches) that I have complete confidence when under the car using them. There is no way the car can slip off them and each stand has a 6600 lb capacity, so there are no fears about the ability of four of them to support a 2800 lb car.

The DK20 jack just squeeks under my car so no 2x4's are necessary.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can confirm that I've seen Tom's setup first hand and one of my first comments was how sturdy and confidence inspiring it looked! I immediately got on the deck and crawled under the turtle to take a look! Tom - after 2 washes my wife is still complaining about the stains on my shirt!
Old 07-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Kahdmus
I can confirm that I've seen Tom's setup first hand and one of my first comments was how sturdy and confidence inspiring it looked! I immediately got on the deck and crawled under the turtle to take a look! Tom - after 2 washes my wife is still complaining about the stains on my shirt!
F'narr...
Old 07-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, I think Howard came over with a dirty shirt and he just didn't want to take any heat from his wife. My garage floor is spotless. I would never get any dirt or oil on it. Well maybe a spill here or there (and there and there), but I always get it cleanerd up! Now the car, that's a different matter.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:09 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Phil Raby
F'narr...
Yes Phil. Without the benefit of context, Howard's passage does read a little funny.
Sick b#stard.

Old 07-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

S'bout what I expect from Saunders and Lewinsky!

Quick Reply: How do you jack?