Slick 50 or not Slick 50?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 05:37 AM
Markechapman
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slick 50 or not Slick 50?

Hello all.

This is my first post to Rennlist so you'll have to excuse me for my ignorance if I ask a stupid question!!

I have a question for all you experts out there and would appreciate your comments.

In my previous cars I have used the Slick 50 Oil Treatment because, from what I gather, it works in conjunction with a good synthetic oil and coats all moving parts of the engine with PTFE to reduce the friction between moving engine parts, which helps reduce engine wear. I have found that it has improved their running and efficiency.

I have never had any worries about putting this into my other cars as they didn't mean as much to me as my beloved 964.

On talking to different mechanics, some swear by it and have no problems putting in the treatment during a service, and other say that you don't need it and say that it doesn't do anything for the engine!

I would appreciate any comments from any of you who have used Slick 50 in their 911's/964's and how it has affect the running.

Thanks for your comments.

Mark

1990 964 C4 Guards Red.

PS. Sorry has anyone used the Slick 50 Fuel Treatment stuff that is supposed clean the fuel system.

Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:52 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I did put Slick 50 in when I got my car - but I don't remember it making much difference at all.

Having said that - I probably didn't put enough in, because our cars have a lot more oil than most and I suspect you really need about 3 bottles of the stuff.

Given the number of cars that are still running fairly strong at 100K miles plus I'd say you don't need it. The main reason for rebuilds seems to be oil leaks, not worn out engines.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:51 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I do not recommend you use additives to the oil or the fuel in the air-cooled dry sumped engines of a Porsche.
Slick 50 is okay (?) in wet sumped engines. However the chemical contents of the Slick 50 which when mixed with oil causes a deposit to be left on all moving surfaces which in our engines is not just restricted to the engine internals. The oil system of the 964 includes an external oil tank, thermostat, oil cooler system with temperature sensors. These items will also received the same treatment and the operation can be negatively impacted with a chemically bonded teflon type treatment.
Fuel additives are similar. The fuel injectors used in the 964 engine are electronically pulsed open and closed. The operation of this kind of fuel injector can be adversely impacted by the use of additives in the fuel. The only effective cleaning method is to remove them have them cleaned and have the spray pattern checked.
In the end it is a personal decision but I do not recommend the use of oil and fuel additives in the 964 engine.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist, Mark.

I agree. I'd be very worried about any form of additive that claims to coat itself to the inside of the engine. How can it differentiate between bearing surfaces and fine oilways, sensors and the like? Far better to use a high-quality engine oil and change it regularly.

Cheers
Old 07-08-2004, 08:33 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Oops.

Well, all I can say is I haven't noticed any adverse effects.... maybe it's just as well I didn't use enough. Or maybe I didn't actually use it - I have a feeling I did but not entirely sure.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:48 AM
Christer
Race Car

Originally posted by DaveK
Oops.

Well, all I can say is I haven't noticed any adverse effects.... maybe it's just as well I didn't use enough. Or maybe I didn't actually use it - I have a feeling I did but not entirely sure.
Ha, ha. Take a nap and you'll feel much better grandad.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:59 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Why do that at a 14 year old car wich ran 14 without Slick 50 and still runs without it. A complete waste of money.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:08 AM
DaveK
Race Car

True - although in my case, the top end had been rebuilt recently. But of course, that doesn't replace most of the moving parts.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:43 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Read the owner's manual for almost any car sold in recent decades. Oil additives are not recommended, and you can void your engine warranty if you use one. Modern oils are an engineering marvel. They were developed over many decades of cooperative R&D between the car makers (including Porsche), and the oil companies. The additive package is controlled at the parts per billion level. Dumping in 10% mystery chemicals from a company with no serious R&D credentials is worse than a waste of money. Fortunately modern oils are formulated to tolerate contamination. You likely did no harm with your other cars, and likely would not in the Porsche either. Just be sure to follow the recommended drain intervals.

I worked for DuPont during college and for six years after I graduated. I know from DuPont's internal publications that they hired an independent lab to test motor oil additives that contained PTFE and used DuPont's trademark name "Teflon" in their advertising. The independent lab reported zero benefit for wear, fuel economy or any other desirable property for oils treated with additives. I don't recall if Slick 50 was around back then, but DuPont notified all the additive makers that they would take legal action if DuPont's trademark was used in any future advertising. DuPont made big money selling the PTFE under the brand name "Teflon", but decided its reputation was worth more than the short term profit.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I first ran into Slick 50 in the early 1980s. 1982 to be exact when it was being sold and marketed in one of those pyramid style marketing programs. You made more money bringing people into the scheme than actually selling it to the public. I am sure you know what I am talking about.
It was not roundly supported then and over 20 years later I see no difference. Toyota, Nissan and a couple of others even then put clauses in their warranties specifically aimed at Slick 50 and Wynns products.
I remember being offered the "Deal of a Lifetime" by the Slick 50 state distributor in Melbourne at the time.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-08-2004, 10:59 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts

If Porsche says not to use fuel or oil additives, why do many here recommend dumping Techron fuel additive into their 911s?
Old 07-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Mark,
I think you would have to ask them. I am sure they have solid reasons for believing in what they do. This is not a right or wrong discussion it is one of get all the facts, get all the opinions, weigh up the evidence and make your own informed decision.
One important fact to keep in mind is that oils differ greatly from nation to nation. Fuels vary from nation to nation. European oil and fuel is a much higher quality than US fuels and oils. Maybe and I say maybe additives enhance the lower quality products and diminish higher quality products.
Porsche had problems with US oils for years with its sulphur content. Something they had not struck in Europe.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-08-2004, 11:34 AM
DaveK
Race Car

One important fact to keep in mind is that oils differ greatly from nation to nation. Fuels vary from nation to nation. European oil and fuel is a much higher quality than US fuels and oils.
I didn't know that. I think I did know the fuel was different (octanes and stuff) but not about the oils.

That must be why oil / petrol is so expensive here then.....
Old 07-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Dave,
Yes actually the quality of our fuel and oil is higher and that does come with a higher price attached to it.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-08-2004, 03:17 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by Carrera51
If Porsche says not to use fuel or oil additives, why do many here recommend dumping Techron fuel additive into their 911s?
Techron is a Chevron product, and you get it when you buy their fuel. It has an R&D pedigree, and it is approved by the major car companies. It will not invalidate your engine warranty. On the contrary, the major car companies all use Chevron fuel for the EPA-mandated emissions durability test (50,000 miles). I am not sure it is wise to buy Techron in the bottle and dump it in somebody else's fuel. You don't know enough about the chemistry of the other brand's fuel, and there is likely an alternative cleaning additive already there. Mixing brands invites compatibility problems- same as mixing Slick 50 with your oil.

Quick Reply: Slick 50 or not Slick 50?