Sponsored by:

door chime sounded like donkey-kong...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 07:35 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts
Question door chime sounded like donkey-kong...

Today I could have sworn my car was imitating Donkey-Kong from the old days - when I opened the door with the blinker on and ignition off, the "gong" or whatever noise that is, sounded like a wheezing insect - at least what I'd imagine it sounding like - then it began beeping (or gonging) normally.

Anybody have that happen before??

I have no other issues with lights or anything; maybe there is a connector to the speaker that produces the noise that is loose, causing a bad connection? Or is it a central informer problem??? Time to wiggle some wires!
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2004, 08:25 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ok, while fishing around, I learned a few things... I think!

Seems as though the chime comes from the Central Informer! I thought there would be a separate "speaker", but it appears all contained in the Central Informer. So I disconnected both plugs, and re-plugged them in, hoping this might help things. If it continues, that will likely mean something is wrong with the entire unit.

I also found that the plugs onthe central informer come off with these lift-up tabs that release and push out the plugs. Just thought someone might want to know. The Informer itself is held on with 9mm nylon (or some kind of plastic) nuts. Being 6'3", with fairly long arms, it's a real challenge to get under there! I think I broke, or at least bruised some of my ribs!

Here's the plug with the black tab that lifts up:
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2004, 08:26 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So, my car being a C4 - this thing appears to make the warning beep when the brake pressure is not yet up to par after 15 seconds or so - correct? Do you C2 owners have this speaker-type thing?
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2004, 08:29 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Another question to the bunch, is...

what is this thing that the Central Informer "piggy-backs" on top of... I don't have a PET so I can't plug in the part numbers?
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2004, 08:31 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ok, last question, or reaffirmation - this is my turn signal relay tucked under there, right?? If I was really keen I would have turned on the ignition and listened for the clicking, but with the broken ribs and all, I can't get under the dash for at least another week.....
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

garrett, this sound usually means that the entire car is about to self destruct into millions of pieces! Please immediately stop driving it and ship it to me before you get hurt:

The Kahdmus Syndrome Foundation
16654 Sharpei Drive
Pacifica CA 94044-90875

If necessary I can call ahead and arrange shipping.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:32 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

hope not!!!!
Old 07-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

garret, PET lists the part#91161831301 as sinply "Control Unit"

Pelican Parts online database returns the same: "Control Unit" and lists it as $150 to replace!

Sorry I cant be more help..Oh, and check your mailbox!
Old 07-06-2004, 03:50 AM
Thomas Linser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by garrett376
So, my car being a C4 - this thing appears to make the warning beep when the brake pressure is not yet up to par after 15 seconds or so - correct? Do you C2 owners have this speaker-type thing?
Yep C2 also have this sort of thingy!!! But I have to admit that I newer heard a single tone coming out from it! It worried me first, but all of my friends who drive 964's say the same over here....they never heard it making a sound!!! The only car I drove wich made a sound out of this thing was a well worn tired 964, which had key-switch problems (a.k.a Heavy-key-holder-Syndrom)

I wonder if it's normal to never having heard it. I always thought that it will biiiiiiiiip if your headlights are "on" and that you pull out the ignition key!

Thomas
Old 07-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Electric cabriolet roof control unit. Same as the one used on the Carrera 3.2.
The sound for the gong is initiated by the gong relay (only fitted to cars in countries where this is a requirement).
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-06-2004, 07:13 AM
Thomas Linser
Instructor

Ahaaaaaa!

Now we got the beginning of an answer!!! "The sound for the gong is initiated by the gong relay (only fitted to cars in countries where this is a requirement)"

Adrian, as your C4 is probably a Swiss-spec-one....do swiss cars have a Biiiiiiper or gong??? If no, is it simply not wired up or is it lacking?? Can we wire it up easily?? Is there such a thing as a biiiiiiip if we pull out the ignition key without extinguishing the front lights!!! Doh!, even the Toyota Starlet of my girlfriend has such a "light reminder"

Thanks for any aswers

Gruetzi
Thomas
Old 07-06-2004, 07:25 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go to John Miles site : http://www.porsche964.co.uk/ - there is a description in the technical section of how to add a lights-on gong to cars which don't have it.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:04 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by garrett376
Do you C2 owners have this speaker-type thing?
Garrett:

C2s have it as well. I have always assumed it was the grill cover for the cabin temperature air sampling vent. There is a small fan that pulls air from the cabin and blows it past the temperature sensor.

I haven't given it a second thought, but now you have me wondering.

Best regards
Old 07-06-2004, 09:22 AM
Thomas Linser
Instructor

Originally posted by DaveK
If you go to John Miles site : http://www.porsche964.co.uk/ - there is a description in the technical section of how to add a lights-on gong to cars which don't have it.

Dave!!!

Thanks for the Info, I already have been there, but wondered why he uses a diode??? Assuming that it's the same thing in English as in French or German a diode is a small sort of light bulb?? Huh?

Anyway thanks a lot

Thomas
Old 07-06-2004, 09:38 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure - I'm afraid my knowledge of electronics is as good as my French and German - and I can't speak either.

From what little I do remember of my physics lessons - I didn't think a diode was necessarily a bulb. There are Light Emitting Diodes (i.e. LEDs) but I thought there were non light emitting ones as well. Don't they just let current flow one way?

Quick Reply: door chime sounded like donkey-kong...