Sponsored by:

convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 03:14 PM
BlackCab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convertible top

well, my other issue is that the convertible top is working very nicely except: every several days, the top still goes up and down but it won't lock down at the very top. If I wait several hours, it will lock down and then it will work again for several days. Does anyone know about this? Is it the clutches at the top? They appear to not be rolling out to let the top rest down. I'm confused by the fact that it only happens very sporadically and then works again for several days. Any suggestions?
Old 07-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Bad locking motor position microswitch I would imagine. Maybe loose and out of adjustment or sticking.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-05-2004, 07:06 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

If your transmission microswitch on the upper side is not adjusted correctly, permitting the top to not close enough, the rotating lock won't grab the bracket to pull the top shut. You might need to adjust the position of the upper microswitch to get the top to be pulled down by the two latches.

Also, if you're not on level ground, the "tweaking" of the chassis can cause the top to be misaligned. That could account for the intermittent function.

Even more deadly, is if the transmission mounting screws have actually come loose; this would cause an altered position of the microswitch in relation to the actuating arm; but even worse can cause you to break the top supports which cost a lot to replace - $470 or so in parts alone...
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

I would agree with Adrian here. The top locking motor microswitches would be the first place to look. One clarification on the top transmission microswitch (dead center switch). This switch never comes into contact with the top mechanism during normal operation. The factory manual calls for a min. 3mm gap between the microswitch (while open) and the top mechanism. I also agree you should check all the mounting bolts for tightness. Regards, Roy
Old 07-06-2004, 05:17 PM
BlackCab
Advanced

thanks. that's great. will take a look at the microswitches this weekend.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:49 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Another potential problem source may be an intermittent cab top control unit
which is located behind the dash near the ignition switch. The locking motors'
switches either work or don't, and rarely become intermittent which you describe
as your problem, i.e. intermittent locking motors operation.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Kismet
Instructor

I've got a similar problem after having the roof replaced. I put it down to it being a bit tight. My zero cost solution: always unzip the rear window before lowering (avoids it getting creased anyway) and then when raising the roof again I grab hold of it as it reaches the locking point and apply a bit of pressure and it always locks into place.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:28 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Kismet, What you are doing is making sure the locking motor microswitches are coming in contact with the windshield frame and closing. This is required to operate the locking motors. Probably makes up for any slight misadjustment. Glad it's working for you.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth, I constantly had problems with the microswitches for my top. I got tired of taking the panels apart and just disconnected the switches. The top now functions great and I just stop acuating the up or down action when the cycle is finished. Works great for me.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:06 AM
BlackCab
Advanced

I adjusted the top microswitch so that it does not come into contact with the top. So far it has worked everytime. Thanks for the help. Hopefully that does the trick! I'm keeping that disconnecting idea up my sleeve in case anything else like this happens again. Thanks again, everyone!

Quick Reply: convertible top