Sponsored by:

some wheel questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:30 AM
slingshot C2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some wheel questions...

I replaced my rear tires last week (yokahama es100's again, great tire... just wore out very quickly)
I installed my tires last year, but this year decided to take the car to a very reputable tire shop as the rears took 94psi to seat the bead last year and I think I honestly lost a year off my life from the fright of the POP when they finally seated.

anywhoo..... the shop I went to installed them with the same issues.
I was glad I didn't attempt it a second time
I paid and left... only to feel a pretty substantial vibration in my seat.
(only the rear tires were replaced) so I attributed it to a poor balance.
I went back and was told the wheels were bent.
suuuuuuuuuuure they are.
I balanced them perfectly a year ago and with minimal mileage on the car and it's only driven by me.... I knew I didn't hit anything, and wheels don't get bent when the car sits in the garage waiting for a sunny day.... so I called him on it. He brings me out to his very expensive tire balancing machine and shows me the wheels did finally balance out to zero but it took over 3 ounces on one wheel to get it to zero.
that was a little more than I had to use last year, so not a big deal.

Now the car runs fine with no vibration.... but since I was considering refinishing my 17" cup wheels..... I am considering replacing them alltogether with some AVS Sport rubber.
I think 18's are too big for my car, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the 17" turbo twist replica wheels (knock off or mille miglia).
The usual theory of knock off/replica wheels is that they are heavy and soft. Can anyone that actually has these wheels comment before I drop some cash?

I saw a set of fully polished 17" Turbo Cup wheels on a white C2 and it was beautiful. I'd love to go that route... but don't want a goddy look since my car is a darker colour.

Thanks if you can help.

d.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:10 AM
Thomas Linser
Instructor

Get your car 18' three piece speedlines, as those used on the 3.6 Turbo, preferably the polished version!!!

IMO the only way to improve over Cup I

My two cents

Thomas
Old 07-01-2004, 08:01 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David,

My C$ had replica wheels the same design as in the photo of your car and boy were they ever soft - several times they got the wobbles after a pothole and several times they got the tyre of and sent away for a straighten and then balance and then a po hole and all over again. They were exact look a likes and had made in Italy on them but they were soft. Now with original porsce wheels of a 92C (they look the same) there are no more problems and I still drive the same lousy roads at speed and still hit the same holes so for my money go original.

Michael Gibney
Old 07-01-2004, 10:26 AM
slingshot C2
Instructor

I figured.
my wheels currently are OEM Porshe wheels.
perhaps I will send them out over the winter to have them straightened and refinished.
thanks for the tips.

oh.... Thomas.... if I was going the route of an aftermarket wheel it would be HRE for sure. pure zex.

Quick Reply: some wheel questions...