Sponsored by:

Kahdmus Syndrome Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004 | 11:36 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Kahdmus Syndrome Update

Just to clarify that the dreaded KS can strike anytime, anywhere regardless of whether my ham hands are involved or not: I go out to clean the car this morning at 11am and notice a couple of yellow flecks on the car. I go to wash them away but they wont move. I then notice more further down...I crouch down and see yellow paint is splattered all the way along under the rockers, all under my wheel arches and small specks are all over my rear wheel arches and some on my passenger door and rear bumper!!!! I almost fainted!

Scratching with the tip of my nail seemed to remove it, so I went in and uncovered the bottle of T-cut I brought back from my last trip home to England (All US rubbing compounds I have tried have been too abrasive for both my cars and heartily suck!) and got to work. 5pm I got finished!!!!!!!!! All panels came 100% clean, however I dont know what to use on my gorgeous new Cup II's as I'm scared of damaging them! The wheel arch linings are still speckled, but I think I'd prefer to replace or wait till Ive got the wheels off and remove to clean (besides it cant really be seen)

I wonder if this is from fresh center lines on the road? If so how would one go about finding out who is responsible? I know it must have happened on Thursday as thats the last time I used the car. I drove a long way on two different HWY's that day. Is it possible to find out which roads have been painted and contact that municipalities claim dept? Its not really that important anymore as it cleaned up, but it could have been a real show stopper and if I ever have this happen again I might want to look at going the claim route!

Beware the KS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2004 | 12:14 AM
Surf Twang
Instructor

What bad luck. I had a similar near miss about a month ago when I came upon a truck painting a white line on the freeway. The truck was spraying paint as it moved along with the traffic! The wind was picking up the paint blowing it every which way. I got as far away as fast as possible and barely avoided a CalTrans repaint.

If your incident occured on a state road CalTrans should have the info. If it was a city or county road you would have to contact the city or county - definately more work on your part.

I'm glad you were able to remove the paint - I like the color of your car as it is.
Old 06-28-2004 | 02:10 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Man, sorry to hear of the unwanted "paint job".

I had the same happen with my new Silverado a few years back, they were black-topping a road and directed us over it...a few weeks later, while washing the truck (yes, the Silverado got the "treatment" ONLY every couple of weeks) I noticed black dots all over the lower half of the truck, and they wouldn't come off either...thankfully the truck was dark grey on the lower parts, so it was hardly noticeable - more by feel.

At least you could get the offending yellow polka dots off!

I would try the same on the wheels, it's just paint, but more durable paint than body finishes...so you should be good to go you little polisher you.
Old 06-28-2004 | 03:20 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Howard,

Sorry to hear about the paint. You might want to consider applying "Rejex"(no affiliations) to your car. I did, and all the road grime, bird poops (lots of crows at my work) no longer glue to the paint. They claim to make graffiti/paint easy to remove too. I've only used it for a week and I am totally impressed. I got the most beautiful shine out of this product and only have to do it twice a year.

Here's a link to their web site. http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

Quick Reply: Kahdmus Syndrome Update