Nakamichi CD 400

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Thomas Linser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Nakamichi CD 400

Folks!!!

I bought a Nakamichi CD 400 unit for the 964!!! Everything I've read about this unit was so super dooper that I had to have one!!!

Since they where not for sale in old Europe at this time I ordered one from the States!!!! A BIG BIG BIG mistake as it came out!!! The units for the states can only read unpair radio stations i.e 100.1-100.3-100.5-100.7-100.9-101.1 etc...

After I discovered this you can imagine my dispointment...but hey!!! The Nak is said to be a High End Unit...so their customer service also should be High End...logical Uh?? Well the least one could say about their Customer service is that....it's NOT High End at all!! They never mailed back, never called, never anything

So my last chance to get a response are you!!! You powerful knights of the holy petrol!

A) Has anyone a clue as if the Nak could be modified/twisted to a EURO Specification unit???

B) Is there a software upgrade??? Do I have to change a specific piece of Kit inside? Is this possible?

C) Should I throw my Unit in the rubisch bin?? Should I put it on fire?

Any help...as usual...would be highly appreciated

Gruetzi Thomas
Old 06-23-2004, 08:00 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect it can be modified - but don't know how. Years ago, I bought a Toyota Supra TT (nice car) which was an import from Japan, so the stereo in that could only tune to Jap frequencies. They guy I bought it off said it could be converted to use UK frequencies - so I guess the NAK can also be changed.

Sadly, I don't know what they do - and I bought another stereo instead - but it might at least give you some hope......
Old 06-23-2004, 08:56 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

yes it can be done, I'll have to mail back later with details as a colleague of mine has just done this to his Pajero.

ok update,

if the frequencies are above 100, subtract 20 to get the frequency you require, if under 100 then subtract 10 to get your frequency, otherwise a convertor device can be had for about a fiver.

you should be able to find details on the uk pajero forums as that's where my colleague asked for help.

hope his fits your needs.

kevin
Old 06-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Thomas Linser
Instructor

Thank for your replies Guys!!

A candle light of hope is shining in the darkness!

Dave! I hope I'll not end as you said changing my Head unit...it would really p..s me off, since the NAK was quite expensive and fits perfectly the dash of the C2.

Kevin you said:

"if the frequencies are above 100, subtract 20 to get the frequency you require, if under 100 then subtract 10 to get your frequency, otherwise a convertor device can be had for about a fiver."

Ok! But! I cannot substract 20 or 10 as the unit wont'let do such a thing.
If the radio station I want to listen to, has a frequency for example of 105.6 MHZ in FM mode, the radio will let me go to 105.5 or 105.7 but will not allow me to settle it to 105.6, since the frequency is not allowed by the tuning-brain of the head unit.

You say a "Convertor bit can be purchased for a Fiver", I have to admit my plain ignorence about such a thingy, what is it doing? Over-riding the radio search parameters?? Where can I get such a thing?

BTW I followed your advice and went to the: http://www.pocuk.com
and tried to search the forum, but haven't found anything useable!

Thanks a lot for responses anyway!

Gruetzi Thomas
Old 06-23-2004, 10:30 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Thomas,

I'll have another word with my colleague and try and illicit some more information, I know that he is using his Pajero import with the original radio and he's reasonably happy thus far, I'll see what he says.

kevin
Old 06-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Thomas Linser
Instructor

Thanks a lot for your help Kevin!!

Gruetzi Thomas
Old 06-23-2004, 12:53 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Thomas,

these people have expanders, although their website is really bad, you'd be better off emailing them for assistance.
http://www.milneroffroad.co.uk/

these people list one:-
http://www.sftmx5parts.co.uk/radio_fitting.htm
http://www.protech-uk.co.uk/radio_converters.htm

there are some more details on the Pajero forums just type in radio and you'll see, but they mainly deal with japanese radios, and I'm unsure if this is at all related to the USA stuff, I would if I were you email some of the conatcts I've listed and elict a response from them, they may well be able to help you more than I can.

regards

Kevin
Old 06-23-2004, 04:37 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Thomas,

Same here.

I bought a CD400 from the US, mainly because it was half the price they are in Europe. I bought it having read the specs of the US spec unit and determined it would tune in steps of 10kHz. The specs appear to be wrong. Like you say, I too can only tune in steps of 20kHz

It's not too much of a problem for me as :
1. I bought it mostly for CD and iPod use.
2. Swiss radio is rubbish anyway

However, I too emailed Nakamichi about it - asked the question about flipping a switch inside or something. I got a very terse reply basically saying 'No'. I agree with your comments regarding customer service.

If any info about this comes to light, I'd be interested in hearing it!

Dave.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:39 AM
Thomas Linser
Instructor

KEVIN!

thanks a lot for your Help!! The Band expanders your listed links provide are probably a big help for people with Japanese Head Units, but I doubt that they will be of any help for me since the problem is different.

Japanese Broadcasting Radios only sends toward 90Mhz or so, The radios in Old Europe all go above the 90Mhz toward approx 108-109 Mhz (depending on country). Thus an band expander makes sense, since it's twisting the Frequency range to allow reception of Radio Stations above 90Mhz.

My problem is somewhat different since the "jump Steps", Tuning if you prefer are 1. only allowing non pair steps ex:90.1-90.3-90.5 Mhz vs. no 90.00-90.2-90.4 allowed and incrementation in 10Khz are not allowed either.

Anyway thanks for your help! I mailed to one of the web-sites you mentioned just in case

DAVE!

You have the same problem as I do apparently. Sorry to hear that you where misleadeded as I was! What a mess huh?? Do you by any chance still have the response sended to you by the customer service of Nakamichi? It would be interesting to share it on this forum...just to show people what a bad Customer Service looks like!!

Anyway Thanks for your support

Gruetzi
Thomas (still hoping)
Old 06-26-2004, 11:09 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Thomas,

Maybe this ebay auction could help :- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...705946998&rd=1
might be worth giving the guy an email as the auction dosen't end untill the 28th june.

kevin
Old 06-28-2004, 03:42 AM
Thomas Linser
Instructor

Kevin!!

Thanks for your help but 75£ + shipping to europe will cost alsmost the half of my damn radio!!! But i'ts interesting to know that such thingies do exist!! At leats it gives me a chance to research further, to find such a thing over here in switzerland!!

Gruetzi Thomas

Quick Reply: Nakamichi CD 400