Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I want a 964 to drive, is buying one of the special models worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 08:50 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

With an offer like that. Book a flight brother.
The following users liked this post:
DrJay (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 09:14 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 266 Posts

See what I told you - All the opinions in the world to help you make your decision!

The thing to know with any car is that the last 10% improvement of special models (if even that) cost a LOT more than 10% premium. If you're ok with spending 2x-3x the cost of a C2 for that 10% (or whatever it is, subjective), then you have all the options in the world.

We are good at helping others spend their money! Buy the best car you can. It sounds like not having A/C is a dealbreaker so you're really looking at C2. C4 and RSA. If you're not hung up on NA - why not add Turbos to the search?
Matt Andrews (07-24-2024)
Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

100 people 95 different answers. BTW Matt has a very nice car and offer. however sorry Matt

I personally love the US spec cup cars & RS's 99% the one thing I dislike about the RS/RSA and US cup is the manual rack. It does nothing for the overall performance and makes driving at slow speeds around town next to impossible with my arthritis. At speed I can't tell a difference as the C2 has a power assist and not full power steering so it is only obvious at slow speeds where needed. My c2 has been completely modified. I removed the sunroof with a factory skin, I have LSD, A/C and an RSA look using an RSA wing, full 993 suspension upgrades, 94 turbo brakes, MCS 2WNR suspension and all HD bushings+++ much more. The only thing I haven't done yet is the transmission mod and possibly a bit of a power increase. To me after having access to a very well setup US cup and many 964's I wouldn't trade my C2 for any of them. It is one of the best driving 964's I have driven. I built my car exactly as i prefer something I wouldn't do to a specialty car. I purposely retained my back seats for many reasons.

Any of these are fantastic cars although the C2 in stock form is a bit anemic it can be molded into whatever you want and that is what I like best about them. If you buy a Cup or RS the value is in its originality. If you modify them they loose value as if you modify a C2 properly it gains. I also highly recommend the 928 my GTS manual is a fantastic GT and more a family car than a 964. Although when talking RS money you can also consider a 3.3Turbo. Very different but equally memorable experience.

Drive them and see for yourself.
The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
jpoint (Today), Matt Andrews (Today)
Old Today, 09:30 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 232 Posts

A well sorted C2 is perfect for OP for his intended use post what you ended up with but Matt's offer is a great opportunity to explore if u can swing it they are UNIQUE and NUMBERED cars. Happy Motoring everyone!
Old Today, 10:19 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 217 Posts

A slightly different opinion that I haven't seen and might not work for you. I bought a neglected C2 Targa for a price that no one would believe and rebuilt it on a strict budget (somewhat self imposed just to see if I could). You can buy a special issue 964 for several times more or mod a car and spend a bit or a bunch. I chose to keep my 996 GT3 and add the Targa. The 2 cars offer a real broad spectrum of 911 driving experiences and my total investment in the 2 is certainly less than the current cost of a 964 RS. The Targa is a really relaxed car to drive. I lowered it and had to rebuild the engine but haven't put any true hi performance mods on it. The GT3 is - well - a 996 GT3. If you've driven one, nothing else needs to be said. I guess I'm saying sometimes 2 is better than 1 even though 1 can cost more than 2.

Last edited by jpoint; Today at 10:22 AM.
Hella-Buggin' (Today)
Old Today, 12:35 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
100 people 95 different answers. BTW Matt has a very nice car and offer. however sorry Matt

I personally love the US spec cup cars & RS's 99% the one thing I dislike about the RS/RSA and US cup is the manual rack. It does nothing for the overall performance and makes driving at slow speeds around town next to impossible with my arthritis. At speed I can't tell a difference as the C2 has a power assist and not full power steering so it is only obvious at slow speeds where needed. My c2 has been completely modified. I removed the sunroof with a factory skin, I have LSD, A/C and an RSA look using an RSA wing, full 993 suspension upgrades, 94 turbo brakes, MCS 2WNR suspension and all HD bushings+++ much more. The only thing I haven't done yet is the transmission mod and possibly a bit of a power increase. To me after having access to a very well setup US cup and many 964's I wouldn't trade my C2 for any of them. It is one of the best driving 964's I have driven. I built my car exactly as i prefer something I wouldn't do to a specialty car. I purposely retained my back seats for many reasons.

Any of these are fantastic cars although the C2 in stock form is a bit anemic it can be molded into whatever you want and that is what I like best about them. If you buy a Cup or RS the value is in its originality. If you modify them they loose value as if you modify a C2 properly it gains. I also highly recommend the 928 my GTS manual is a fantastic GT and more a family car than a 964. Although when talking RS money you can also consider a 3.3Turbo. Very different but equally memorable experience.

Drive them and see for yourself.
Anthony-
knowing your car, I'd probably agree the driving experience is on par or better than a RS. I'm sure you've calculated it - but for everything you've done yourself, what would the retail shop have charged for all those mods?

Quick Reply: If I want a 964 to drive, is buying one of the special models worthwhile?