Will this windshield fit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 12:59 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will this windshield fit?

I have located a rust bubble under my front windshield seal. Took to bodyshop and advised to get it fixed ASAP. My windshield is pitted and scratched so I will replace it at the same time. I just narrowly missed a deeply discounted windshield on EBAY yesterday and now I see this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

The question is...will it fit?

I am not sure what the seller thinks that number is..I know it isnt the right part number.....it isnt in fact a Porsche part number AT ALL! (Ours is 964 541 011 00 I believe!)

Any comments around the auction listed above?

Cheers,
Old 06-26-2004, 01:38 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

That is the one thing I need on my red car. Let us know how it goes and how much it cost to install install the windshield.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:19 AM
Surf Twang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will soon be doing the same to mine, too.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:57 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't you guys over the pond have windscreen insurance like we do in the UK?

kevin
Old 06-26-2004, 06:35 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doug $300 labour from local body man to cure the rust, refill, repaint etc. (I am supplying parts) whatever is necessary and to refit glass. I am paying same shop $1000 to respray the rear bumper and $600 to mend a door ding (dentwizard couldnt fix!) Cheap, but come well recommended. They did a great job on my Aero mirrors for $150 (shame I screwed them up!)

NOW..back to this windshield! Anyone tell me if it will fit???????

Cheers,
Old 06-26-2004, 09:03 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems doubtful, given that all the 964 coupe windshields shown in PET have 964 part numbers.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:21 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't they change the fitment for the windscreens around 1988? Seem to remember reading somewhere anyway!

Have you tried phoning your mechanic to see what he says?
Old 06-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

John, per post above, thats what I thought and the first thing I checked after seeing the auction.

Andy - I havent met a mech who can give me more acurate or timely advice than Rennlist....so no!
Old 06-27-2004, 10:35 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know if I believe this windshield repair shop (very consciencious and apparently reputable) BUT...3 weeks ago, I picked up a stone chip in the windshield. The insurance company would either repair it for free or replace it for my $250 deductable. Since the chip wasn't bad, I elected to have a go at the repair. The repair guy came from 40 miles away and fixed the chip to my satisfaction.

Now "The BUT"... as we were talking, he said that I could get a NEW windshield for .........$230.00 complete. He went on to explain that I would have to call any shop directly, not thru the insurance company. He said that the deal with the insurance co is List - 45%, plus labor of $50, plus travel. If I were to go direct, it would be List - 70%, with new gasket and urethane sealant included.

Since I don't need a new one, I can't say for sure that this would be the correct price, but I would hope that he was correct in his quote.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:20 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have heard something similiar regarding insurance coverage and believe I could replace the glass via local glass shop with small deductible. However I need to get the rust spot issure resolved at the same time. Will ask my body shop guy....

Cheers Lou!
Old 06-28-2004, 04:20 AM
Thomas Linser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kadmuhs!!!

Don't forget a crucila fact about the Windshields!!! They are Glued to the body work at the factory!!! A non-glued aftermarket windshield will lead to rust!! Carglass and other windschield repair companies like this one, often do NOT bother glueing (silicone glue if I remember correctly) the Windshield as stated by porsche. If you're going to replace your Windshield at say Carglass, make sure to mention that you want it glued!!! It's quite easy to see if it was done accurately as the windshield ruber-seal will fit perfectly and will have absolutely no move in the upper corners!! That the place where dampness can get into...and that's where it will drain to the bottom of the shield an start to rust, as the watter will be trapped on the bottom corner!!

Just my two cents

Gruetzi Thomas

Quick Reply: Will this windshield fit?