Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flapper

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004 | 04:41 PM
Lon
Instructor

Default Flapper

How hard is it to replace the rear flapper? (I think that is what it is called, connects the rear blower to the fan shroud) Do you have to remove the entire fan housing? Also , anyone know the part number for the falpper and where I might find a replacement?

Thanks,

Lon

PS adrian, you were right once again about the relay for my rear blower. It was fused to low speed apparently. I swapped relays and the fan functioned normally.Well normal, except for that awful squeal from the dead bearings. New fan should be here today and that too will be solved. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-25-2004 | 04:57 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Do you mean this part?

I had a lot of this stuff off just the other day to get at my distributors properly.

The 'fan' end just pushes into the rubber seal (can be a bit of a pain, but not technically challenging).

The other end...

Well I didn't actually remove it from the blower housing, but the blower can be detached by undoing the two retaining bolts. One is visible at the lower, front of the blower, the other is in the same place behind the blower, but hidden. If you free the blower from the left ducting, it will just come away.

If you just mean the rubber seal that connects the part above to the fan shroud, it is part of the fan shroud itself - all one piece.
Old 06-25-2004 | 05:07 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Lon,
No problem. The new fan you are about to receive will most likely be a 993 unit. There are some slight differences to the 964 unit. Replacement procedure is in my book with all the differences and what you have to do.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 06-25-2004 | 06:28 PM
Lon
Instructor

Adrian., I used the book and made the swap in about 15 mins. thanks,

Lon
Old 06-25-2004 | 06:46 PM
Lon
Instructor

John,

No, the part on the fan housing. It looks like it only attaches on the top of the housing with maybe 4 or 6 screws.

Lon
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2004 | 06:59 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Here you go...
Old 06-25-2004 | 07:16 PM
Lon
Instructor

John,

Pefect!! That is exactly what I needed.
Thanks a bunch

Lon

Just ordered one from Sunset Porsche. $26.99 should be here in about a week.
Old 06-28-2004 | 06:24 AM
tonyp
Intermediate

John,

I replaced my a few weeks back, simple job but take care with the bolts on the RH side (as you face the engine) these dont need to be removed since getting them back in appears impossible without removing the AC pipes.. The duct has slotted holes and slides right in there. You may also note that the new part differs slightly from the old one, there are small lugs at the bottom rear of the duct which prevent it from sitting snugglg onto the engine. But no problems are evident as a result.

Tony

Quick Reply: Flapper