Sponsored by:

Newbie to the 964 List with questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 08:13 PM
mmccray
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Newbie to the 964 List with questions

Well it looks like I've gone an done it.

After 7 years of owning and dearly loving a 1987 944S I'll be picking up her garage partner this Tuesday!! After searching, pondering, getting cold feet, I've finally found a beautiful 1990 964 Black on black in excellent condition with 56K on her.

She's bone stock, and ready for a few mods to make her shine. She's got Design 90 wheels, which will be replaced soon. Got to figure out what kind of offset I can use to get the rears to show some wheel lip. Any advice on where to go (?) for info will be appreciated. I'm toying with the idea of cup wheels, or maybe I'll even spring for some used RUF or RS style wheels. Need something to set off the black color. Unfortunately, I'm not crazy about Design 90's, BUT they might fit my 944 which has 993 wheels..... hmmm maybe a swap out is in order???

Also, does anyone know if a 993 airbag 4 spoke wheel will fit the 964's? That's really the only other cosmetic thing I'll do - Of course, I'll hold out judgment on whether or not I put a fixed wing on her.

Gee... I haven't got her in the garage and I'm already spending money!!!

The press is right, 964's are expensive!!!

Actually, I'm THRILLED to be getting one. I've budgeted for the inevitable clutch and flywheel although she's ok for now. I'll change the dist belt as I go through my usual baseline maintenance.

Final question. Where can I get the service manuals - preferably on CD rom. I like to work on 944 and am looking forward to getting into the 911 too.

How about a HIP HIP HOORAY!!! I'm celebrating tonight!!

Marshall McCray
1987 944S (Baby 1)
1990 911 C2 (Baby 2)
Old 06-20-2004, 03:14 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Congratulations on your new baby! If your updating the D90s then you might also want to consider Aero mirror updates too. IMHO the flags match the D90s and the Aeros match the Cups.

Old 06-20-2004, 04:12 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Marshall,
I can answer your questions.
No the 993 wheel does not fit the 964.
Porsche never issued 964 manuals on cd-rom for public consumption. The ones that are around are pirated (re stolen in breach of copyright) scanned copies.
Factory hard copy manuals are no longer produced. Sets do come up for sale every now and again.
Naturally I recommend you get a copy of my book on the 964. It does not replace the factory manuals but it contains the things the factory manual does not, plus it will answer your future needs on most subjects.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 06-20-2004, 08:45 AM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Adrian
Dear Marshall,
I can answer your questions.
No the 993 wheel does not fit the 964.
Porsche never issued 964 manuals on cd-rom for public consumption. The ones that are around are pirated (re stolen in breach of copyright) scanned copies.
Factory hard copy manuals are no longer produced. Sets do come up for sale every now and again.
Naturally I recommend you get a copy of my book on the 964. It does not replace the factory manuals but it contains the things the factory manual does not, plus it will answer your future needs on most subjects.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Adrian, I just bought your book from Amazon...it's an excellent piece of work and is going to be invaluable for my 964 ownership experience. Good show!
Old 06-20-2004, 09:05 AM
ian c - u.k

forget changing the design 90's ............
just fit these click
Old 06-20-2004, 09:20 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome!

I don't think the 964 is expensive to own. Routine maintenance is a little more expensive than standard cars, because you have to buy almost 3X the oil and 2X the ignition parts. However, they are quite reliable, and If you consider the low depreciation cost, they are a bargain in the exotic car world, and compete very well with most mass-produced cars on a cost-per-mile basis. If you pursue modifications, your cost will be much higher. For street use, the car is near-perfect in stock form.

Watch eBay and Pelican Classifieds for the factory manuals. A complete set just sold on eBay. Price was ~$400. Performance Products and Mid-America (Tweeks) still have them for sale at about $450. I bought mine from Tweeks 2 years ago when the price was $395. They are legal factory manuals in the nice ring binders. I am sure I saved more than their cost in the first year.

I agree with Adrian on the CD-ROM versions - I have not seen them, but I have heard the scan quality is poor, and you will have problems reading the small detail, especially in the wiring diagrams.

I have Adrian's book, and it is no doubt the best of its gendre you will ever find. If you plan to do the scheduled maintenance, it is all you need. It will also help you repair the more common problems. If you want to be able to handle anything that comes up, the factory manuals are 7 volumes, and have the necessary detail.

The biggest gripe I had with the 964 was that diagnostic system is obsolete. I finally resolved that problem by purchasing a used code reader. Search the threads under "diagnostic" for details.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:02 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Darn they only fit 15" wheels!
Guess i will just have to settle for some turbo twist with spinner centers
Old 06-20-2004, 11:55 AM
mmccray
Rennlist Member

Sorry Ian;

I must have really offended you about the 90's! I appreciate your suggestion on the spinners, BUT......

I don't think so.

Marshall
Old 06-20-2004, 12:02 PM
mmccray
Rennlist Member

Adrian;

Thanks for the info. I was looking at your book the other day. I have ordered the Bentley Technical Specs book, and will probably go ahead and order your book too.

Do you or anyone else know if there is a Parts Technical Reference book available from Porsche for the C2?
I actually have 2 for the 944, and I bought one for a 80 model 911's too - in anticipation. I found these to be very helpful because of the parts explosions.

BTW - I REALLY appreciate your advice. I'll be on the lookout for some factory manuals at a later date.

Got to get this car settled in first, I pick her up on Tuesday, and I can tell you I'm really excited about finding a nice one!

Thanks!
Marshall
Old 06-20-2004, 06:48 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Marshall,
There is no parts catalogue available just for the 964 apart from pirated copies. The Technical service information manuals are all out of print but you might pick the odd one up from bookstores around the world.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 06-20-2004, 07:16 PM
nine51
Instructor

I'm in the market as well. I looked at an'89 C4 that needed the clutch/flywheel job done. Not a big deal to me, they were asking 18K and are willing to take 15K after I talked about it with them.There's another '89 that needs nothing and comes with a set of cup 1's. they're asking 24K which I think is high for an '89.
What do you guys think?
Old 06-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by nine51
I'm in the market as well. I looked at an'89 C4 that needed the clutch/flywheel job done. Not a big deal to me, they were asking 18K and are willing to take 15K after I talked about it with them.There's another '89 that needs nothing and comes with a set of cup 1's. they're asking 24K which I think is high for an '89.
What do you guys think?
$15k is very cheap for an '89 C4. How many miles and what else is wrong...?

$24k for an '89 is getting up there. For $24k, the car should be a low mileage example and in perfect condition for it's age. All service should be up to date and the car should not need any significant repairs (cosmetically or mechanically). If the car is perfect and exactly what you want, then $24k is reasonable. Certainly not a steal, but a fair enough for a very good car. Just my $.02.

Good luck,

Jay
90 964
Old 06-21-2004, 05:14 PM
nine51
Instructor

both cars have about the same mileage. the $15K one at 94K... and the other at 92K.
i'm going to check out the cheaper one again. i haven't driven it yet but started it and listened to it idle... looked for leaks and such..... none were seen. i'm not really afriad of any of the work that may be needed.....just the cost. 1300 for clutch/flywheel another 500+ in ignition parts probably. + any labor that i can't do myself. but that is offset by the purchase price.

jay
Old 06-21-2004, 05:17 PM
nine51
Instructor

oh yeah, both cars look GREAT. VERY nice condition.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:56 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If both cars are very nice, then either the $15k car is underpriced or the $24k car is overpriced (or both!). $24k for an '89 C4 with almost 100k on the clock is pushing it a bit. People are paying mid $20's for late 964's with fewer miles.

$15k is not a lot of money for a 964. You get what you pay for. Nice stuff still seems to bring over $20k. So, before signing on a dotted line on that car, insure you have a pre purchase inspection done by a knowledgeable Porsche tech so you know where you are at before buying. Buying a dog for cheap is more expensive in the long run than paying more up front for a nice car.

Again, just my $.02.

Jay
90 964

Quick Reply: Newbie to the 964 List with questions