Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Cabin Lights Blinking on and off????

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 05:41 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interior Cabin Lights Blinking on and off????

My interior lights have developed a habit of turning on and off when ever I hit a bump. I have checked the door pin switches and they seem fine and when the doors open with the head lights or parking lights on the warning chimes making me think the pin switches are switching the circuit off. I do have an after market alarm system in this car and i am afraid they might have tied it into the cabin lights for activation. Any one else have this trouble? I have just switched them off at them moment.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:15 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Pete,
The chimes are supposed to go off when you open the door with the lights on. This is designed to tell you that the headlights are still on.
The flashing interior lights canbe caused by,
Door switches
Engine compartment switch
Luggage compartment switch
It may not be the switches themselves it could be the wires crimped at the end touching something.
Just looking at the switches is not enough I am afraid you need to inspect all the assembly.
It could also be the light assemblies because they have a switched earth to allow them to be manually activated.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 06-16-2004, 06:28 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick simple question: does my car have an alarm that goes off if I open the door with the headlights turned on?

I keep forgetting to turn off the lights, but get no warning when opening the door. After reading the comments above, I suddenly suspect that the "lights on" warning has been disabled on my car.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:19 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Jens,
No the ROW versions were not fitted with this feature unless required by national law. This system is not required by Swiss law. The alarm system indications are also specifically Swiss.
All this is contained in my book. If you want to learn about the 964 and all these things it is worth purchasing.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: An important difference between Porsche and other manufacturers. Porsche only fitted what they had to for each market. Other manufacturers such as Audi made their cars as similar as they good for the different markets. This was one of the reasons that Porsche got into so much trouble from circa 1986 to 1995.

Quick Reply: Interior Cabin Lights Blinking on and off????