Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 964 Rebuild Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024 | 09:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cedric 18
I am upgrading to 993 valves for my rebuild, do I need to replace the springs or can I re-use my 964 ones? (still in specs)

I would consider spending the little extra for Ti retainer's and uprated springs. Have someone with the right equipment set them for you as having the proper tools is key. Also the factory used Goetze rings. Again a pro with the right tools to cut the rings to the desired gap. I used a looser gap on this engine since it will be used for racing. I also used the factory studs on the last build I used ARP. For through case bolts and head studs. I like their products but this was a bit cheaper and this is a no frills build. I would reach out to EBS for parts usually far cheaper and have the best deals on parts.

I would consider at a min having crush rings machined into the top of the cylinder. The older design wasn't the greatest. I wouldn't rebuild without giving this some consideration.

As I said this is a low frills build. It will be getting new rings so the cylinders have to be honed. I am not concerned about having it done professionally. So long as the cylinders aren't out of round they just need a little roughening of the surface. So I did these by using hand tools instead of having them professionally done. Normally I would send them out but time is of the essence.

No ned for bottom end.

You need to decide what type of driving you will be doing to adjust the rings properly.

Good enough to do the job.

Great tool. Not worth buying but a perfect cut each time.

Old 03-11-2024 | 05:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Just watching the AdamLZ build on YouTube.

It’s early days in the inquest but his build appeared to fail with a dropped valve. It may not be related to the springs but worth taking into account in your build.
Old 03-11-2024 | 06:25 PM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM
Just watching the AdamLZ build on YouTube.

It’s early days in the inquest but his build appeared to fail with a dropped valve. It may not be related to the springs but worth taking into account in your build.
I just watched it, that’s a bummer considering all the time, effort and new parts. I’m curious to see if he goes 3.8 or sticks with the 3.6 stock setup.
Old 03-11-2024 | 08:28 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyder_2011
I just watched it, that’s a bummer considering all the time, effort and new parts. I’m curious to see if he goes 3.8 or sticks with the 3.6 stock setup.
My money is it will not be stock. I know the look in his eyes - when something broken is just a good excuse to do something silly
Old 03-12-2024 | 08:44 AM
s65e90
Race Car

I just watched that. Sucks to see, I'm sure that build was paid for by Ebay though, so not much money lost on his personal end. I wonder if those valves were never seating right, or someone spun that motor too high and slightly bent a valve causing it to hang up and not fully seat and eventually, through all his thrashing, let go and broke the motor.
Old 03-12-2024 | 09:43 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Nice build I saw this car at Amelia. Sorry but it seems like some rudimentary mistakes. Not sure how you can put the distributor in 180 out without clearly knowing. Hard to see in his video but I suspect he overheated the engine by doing too many pulls without proper ventilation over the engine and still hasn't resolved his AFR's.

Quick Reply: 1990 964 Rebuild Engine