Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Living in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 05:45 AM
Felix

Dear Harold,

No, Smog exemption is difficult to get not because of requirements but
government's decision not to let you get cars in too easily so it is hard to do.

BR,

Felix Leung.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:48 AM
Felix

Dear Jeff,

Please "call or write" if you are going to be around.

BR,

Felix Leung.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:16 AM
jfl503
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, tough crowd... my 2 cents - if you get a car in HK, get a Porsche for the love the 'sport'; get anything else if you need a beater to move crap in.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:40 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eddie,

I was not asking for your or anyone elses opinion when I posted to Jeff. I was merely giving my personal opinions to Jeff and since Rennlist is a public forum, I am rightfully entitled to do so.

I should have known better, but there are as usual some cleaver guy that "highjacks" the thread and throw in personal "for or against" arguments with other posters, rather than letting people have their own opinion and not having to defend it.

I currently own a GT3 Clubsport and have gone through ownership of other Porsches as you mention and also owned several other exotic European and Japanese supercars. Perhaps I'm not as hardcore "Porscheophile" as you but certainly dedicated since I am also the PR Director of the Porsche Club UAE. When I had my track prepped 964, I was a frequent poster on the 964 forum, which others here can confirm but when the 964 was sold to make space for the GT3 Clubsport, I naturally shifted to the GT2 & GT3 forum. So, I don't think there is any need to question my dedication to the mark as such.

I guess it boils down to "different strokes for different folks"!

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:46 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may not have asked, but you certainly got them. In return we got yours though, so thats OK....
Old 06-14-2004, 10:44 AM
delhi
Racer

MTR. Get the Octopus card.
If you are always in the Kowloon area, there's no need for a car. Gas is expansive, parking is nuts and the drive...
But if u're living in the outskirts or spend most of the time there, I'm sure it's well worth it.
some roads are nice however like the hilly routes towards Stanley Market.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

additionally you can fly to KL and drive Sepang with the local Sing Porsche Club or a private track day.
At Sepang you can rent a Radical for pretty cheap as well - no need for a car (it would be a hasle for only a year in HK)
plus the shopping is pretty good and well realitively cheap compaired to HK or Sing. in KL and it's basically safe.
I would also check out renting cars at the Chu Hoi circuit.
Sorry i don't have any current info on HK - the last time i was there was for the handover, watching the PLA come into town game me shivers. I was living in Beijing durring 89'
Old 06-15-2004, 12:00 AM
eddychan
Racer

Johannes,

I am extremely concern about your reaction. You are right, this is a public forum and when you see people posting information which is far from the turth then you are going to ignore it right.

When I saw people saying that they wanted to import a LHD US Porsche to Hong Kong, I told them it was a bad idea, when I saw people confused about where discovery bay was, I told them it is an island. Did I do anything wrong?
okay, Your personal opinion about Japanese vehicle is your own business but this is a Porsche 964 forum.
I am sorry that you got the fact about depreciation of 964/993 wrong here in Hong Kong and then even pull rank to tell me you are such a big guy who knows it all.

Really that's it! I do not have time people who cannot be reasoned with. Give me facts and experience, I will listen to you but pleasee do not tell me how important you are.

Eddie
A simple Chinese who lives in Hong Kong and owns a 91 C-2 for just two years.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:36 AM
morganb
Instructor

Default Living in HK

Jeff,

I have been here for nearly 4 years and had Porches here for about 3.
I would not suggest you import a LH drive one without fully understanding all the rules. Please check if you can register a LH drive one as I have been told socially you cannot.

If you are willing to buy a car 10+ years old you can get them for great prices. Both mine were over 10 YO with less than 25,000 miles on them

There are some good driving roads here but not enough of them. The Porsche club of HK is pretty active with a drive every month and regular track day trips to China (a bit expensive for me but apparently very very well organized down to Porsche mechanics to assist if you have an issue).

BTW You cannot have a car in Discovery Bay, its like Toy town with only golf carts allowed (and some Buses).

Houses are very expensive to rent and buy as is many aspects of western living. Brace yourself for an expensive trip to the Supermarket.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:39 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about living around Clearwater Bay? I have lot's of great memories as a child when my dad drove us down to the beach on the weekends.
Eddie, I hope you don't begrudge the NSX-R cos it's a damn fine car.

Harry
Old 06-15-2004, 10:30 PM
eddychan
Racer

Harry,

I agree, that's why I left it out. Please let me know if you are back here. Hong Kong has changed a lot since. But the running cost of a NSX is sky high here in Hong Kong.

Eddie
Old 06-15-2004, 10:58 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sure it has changed significantly as I left HK in 1986. Last time I went back was 1991!! I don't like long-haul flights with a vengeance so I don't see myself going back there for a while.

Harry
Old 06-16-2004, 02:29 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Eddie,

I honestly don't understand what you have against me?! I think it is pretty childish of you to accuse me of trying to project myself as being "a big guy who knows it all" and "tell me how important you are", when I was just trying to explain that I am also passionate about Porsches.

If you feel offended or uncomfortable because I happened to have owned different Porsches and exotics and in my free time help out at the Porsche Club UAE, then you really have a problem.

We are all free to have our different opinions without having to defend them and that is what I think Jeff was initially after, he wanted to hear peoples experience from Hong Kong. But you for some strange reason starts questioning the facts in my posts and my personality.

What do you mean by "It is a very healthy debate and I am really supprise that for someone who had a 92 968CS and a 90 C-4 would have such view"??? First of all it is NOT a debate and why should I have to answer to you, just because I happen to have a different opinion about car ownership in Hong Kong even though I happen to have owned a 92 968CS and a 90 C4.

If it is someone entitled to ask people questions about their posts on this topic, I think it is Jeff!

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:10 AM
BRD911
AutoX

Default Used 964/993's in Hong Kong

What a great thread! Settle down boys.... we're all on the same winning team!!! (Its so easy to take things the wrong way in print!)

Watching from 'Downunder' I am interested in importing a used 964 or 993 as they are so expensive here. The low miles and low values might make it worth the hassle of importing and registration in Australia, although imports are frowned upon as they are not locally delivered. But it could be a way for me to get the car and look I want

I am wondering what a 1990-1992 C2 might be worth, in say -

a) top condition?
b) average condition?

Also, may I ask if Bruce or anyone in HK knows of or can recommend reputable Porsche/Used exotic car dealers and kindly post their contact and/or dealer website details?

Are there any HK classified ads on line? This might not be the right course as I need some guarantee of title and that the car is 'fair dinkum'!

Any information would be much appreciated. I hope this is not too off-topic.

Thank you in advance if a few of you are going to the trouble to look up your contact books!

Cheers

Bruce
Old 06-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Bruce,

Try the "motors & boats" classified section of the South China Morning Post webpage http://mtb.classifiedpost.com/

Or for Porsche Pre-approved cars, call the official dealer Jebsen Motors on +852 3180 3919

One thing to keep in mind with Hong Kong cars, is that the mileage might be low but the accumulated running hours are rather high, as a result of spending a lot of time being stuck in traffic. Not good for aircoolers, especially in a rather hot place like Hong Kong. You will also find that Porsches in Hong Kong are not really that cheap compared to many other places around the globe.

Good hunting!

Ciao,

Johannes E.

Quick Reply: OT: Living in Hong Kong