Sponsored by:

OT: Living in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 09:52 AM
BRD911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Johannes

Thank you for the link, I will be look into and starting my research.

The main attraction of HK is low shipping cost to Aust and RHD. The UK have poor weather and salty roads, and Japan is the only other RHD country apart from NZ as far as I know. I have seen some low prices in the US but the LHD is the problem.

Bruce
Old 06-16-2004, 09:38 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by BRD911
Johannes

Thank you for the link, I will be look into and starting my research.

The main attraction of HK is low shipping cost to Aust and RHD. The UK have poor weather and salty roads, and Japan is the only other RHD country apart from NZ as far as I know. I have seen some low prices in the US but the LHD is the problem.

Bruce
Bruce, you won't find much Porsche cars in RHD in Japan. The vast majority (probably 99%) are LHD so you can discount Japan.

Harry
Old 06-16-2004, 11:44 PM
morganb
Instructor

BRD911,

There are many 964's and 993's up here but keep in mind in general you can only import to Aust cars that are over 15 YO or you have owned and used them for a year in the foreign country.
Check here for details. http://www.dotrs.gov.au/transreg/str_imp-cert.htm

Try here for more private cars in HK- http://www.asiaxpat.com.hk/classifieds/

There are many other websites also mainly involving dealers or agents. Some of them command a hefty mark up on the private prices. If you know what you want I will be willing to help as I enjoy looking at cars. I help a dealer in Australia on a (Semi) commercial basis and I have found him 2 cars over 15 YO. The prices of 964's seems to have gone up recently and I suspect the Aussie dealers are pushing up the prices.

PM me if you want some assistance with details of what you are interested in and how much you want to pay.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:08 AM
eddychan
Racer

BRD911,

Try www.carreracars.com.hk, they are based in Kowloon and e-mail them and they can help you.

The other one is www.europeanmotors.com.hk, ask for Paul and he will help you also.

Carcity in Hong Kong side is more expensive but they are also very good, www.carcity.com.hk.

I brought mine from Vinsmotor and I do not like theri after sale service so I will not recommend it to you.

IMHO, Jenson is the offical Porsche dealer and their prices match the status.

I lived in UK and US before and I do find the 964 prices here in Hong Kong was low but I have to agree with Bruce, the prices have gone up a bit recently. Good thing for me really as my car has actually appreciated rather than depreciated.

Happy hunting.

Cheers!

Eddie
Old 06-17-2004, 12:22 AM
eddychan
Racer

BRD911,

I forgot to mention one thing, there is one very culture thing which is very Chinese called Haggling. It is almost an art and if you know the technic, it pays off handsomely. I managed to take 20k hk dollars off my C-2 two years ago and I reckon I could have done better now I look back.

IMHO, the reasonable price range for 964 non turbo from 90-93 is around 140K to 200K Hong KOng dollars which is about 10k to 13.7K English Pounds. I do not think you can get that kind of price from UK at all. However, a good PPI and leakdown test is a must.

Cheers!

Eddie
Old 06-17-2004, 07:06 AM
morganb
Instructor

Eddie is spot on.

Haggling is important, I took 38K off my first car. Ignore whatever price they first ask and offer what you want to pay.
The carrera motorsports guy looks after my cars and he can do a PPI for you as well.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:40 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Bruce,

Great to meet you at the Porsche drive. I was over at Carrera motorsports last weekend and talked to Mr Wong for a while. Do you have any opinions of him in maintaining your car?

Jeff
Old 06-18-2004, 12:10 AM
eddychan
Racer

Bruce,

Wow! Good man! 38K off the price. Great stuff! you must hlep me next time if I buy another Porsche.

Could you tell me when and where you go for your "Drive". I live in Tai Po and if it is not too early on Sunday, I would like to join. ( BUT it must be after the Euro04 football )

Cheers!

Eddie
Old 06-18-2004, 01:08 AM
morganb
Instructor

Jeff,

Mr. Wong in general does a great job. He is quite an enthuasist. He has no real interest in fixing AC's etc but for all your mechanical type work for me he has done a great job. I also get him to look after my AMG Benz.
One of my mates had a problem with him though about some work that was done. With me though he has always been good and has in general a good reputation.

Eddie,
I am in Tai Po also. Driving is irregular though I will from try and go on the PCHK drives first Sinday of each month.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:50 AM
BRD911
AutoX

Johannes, Bruce and Eddie

Thank you all very much for your advice approx. 2 weeks ago, sorry I had not had a chance to reply (this time of year!).

I will be looking into this in detail in the next few months and see if this is possible and worth while. I appreciate the low miles could be high engine hours over there, so I wont let that cloud my thinking. The resale value is also notably much lower here by about 20%, so that might become the main factor at the end of the day. Some of the dealer ads are interesting though!

Meanwhile I have my current project car ('72 911 with 964 3.8RSR body) to complete, which will keep me busy.

Thanks again

Bruce
Old 07-01-2004, 05:33 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by eddychan

Carcity in Hong Kong side is more expensive but they are also very good, www.carcity.com.hk.
Sorry for the OT... but did you guys check out that white 993 GT2???

Errr.... how much is a million HK $$$ ???

Oh Jeff
Old 07-01-2004, 08:04 AM
morganb
Instructor

HK$ to US$: Divide by 7.8 to get US$
Old 07-01-2004, 10:28 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That woudl be pretty sweet Danny... Hmmm.....
Old 07-02-2004, 07:10 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Jeff, based on the fact you are selling the 993, seems you are confirmed to move to Hong Kong. Do let me know when you come over this side of the world. Next chance I get we could catch up in Hong Kong, or if you are ever in Singapore (only 4 hours), we could also meet here. All the best!!!
Old 07-02-2004, 10:31 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks Harold.. Would be great to meet up with some HK rennlisters out there. Even better to work on some cars out there. It funny though, I have a cousin that is a mechanic and he'd probably think its funny that I work on cars for fun.

Quick Reply: OT: Living in Hong Kong