Window Switches

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window Switches

I only replaced my power window switches last year, yet one broke again just today! Same weakspot as last time - the column that houses one of the springs broke. They look very well designed inside, but this one weakspot appears to be the achilles heel. Very annoying! Anyone else with this problem?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

The switches stink. I always keep two extra around (they are the same in the 964 and 993). I think they last 12 months or 15,000 miles (whichever comes first).
Old 06-02-2004, 02:09 PM
WilsonAnderson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kahdmus,

I have a 91 C4 and have broken both in the last month again.

The same problem as you describe. The only good thing I can think about the break is that the switches will now "hold" in the up or down position unless I return it to center. I worry about burning up the motor when and if I accidentally leave it in the up position though.

At least now when I park I can do the windows and the sun roof at the same time.... It also functions as a great window lock when left in the up or down position and the passenger does not want to mess up her hair and you want the windows down!

The dealer fixed it last time durring other service, so is it difficult to replace yourself? Soldered connections or just simple connectors like radio speakers?

I figure the door panel will have to come off, does not look, or seem like it would be a tough DIY job.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:10 PM
alan911sc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go through em on a regular basis, buy em at the the dealer for about $20. They are covered under the Porsche parts warranty. I take mine back and get free replacements. I always have a spare, they seem to go when it is hot outside and you want the windows down or if your traveling on a toll road.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:44 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

They clip right on - well put together in this respect! It seems the one design flaw is the strength of those spring housings. Aw well, ordered new ones from Pelican.....

Car looks a mess with wires hanging out though! Maybe I'll disconnect (so other switches work) and stick the non-used one in the hole for show!

Quick Reply: Window Switches