Turtle vs. TT

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 02:45 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turtle vs. TT

If you'd like a chuckle, you may enjoy my post on the 993 board of the Turtle doing battle with a TT last weekend at Laguna Seca (here ). While the 964 is pretty similar to a 993, it's been an adventure getting the Turtle to the point where it was so much fun to drive over the two days at Laguna.

I bought the car at the end of October and didn't get a chance to take it to the track until December (which was my first trip to Laguna Seca). The car was unimpressive. I boiled the brake fluid with ease (ATE Super Blue) and if I actually drove over a berm at an apex, the car got very unsettled. That, coupled with moderate understeer and trouble shifting under load, left me underwhelmed with my purchase compared to my 993.

Convinced that brakes were my worst problem, I upgraded with big reds using the components recommended by Race Technologies (993 fronts and rotors with 965 rears and rotors). I thought I was now ready for the new season.

Not. At the annual tech inspection a torn CV boot cover was discovered on the RR. Figuring 12 year old rubber wasn't expected to be in great shape, I decided to have all the boots replaced. As I explained in an eralier post, despite two PPIs at good shops, a lot more "issues" were uncovered and needed to be fixed. A bunch of money later I had a car back and was ready to be impressed by the new suspension and brakes.

I went to Buttonwillow to start my year and wasn't impressed. It was a lot better, but it still had significant understeer, especially in the slower corners. I firmed the rear sway and it helped, but not a lot/enough. So I replaced the rear sway (a 22 instead of a 19).

At Thunderhill I was just getting the hang of the car (now it oversteered which was an interesting change) when I discoved a torn CV boot, which led to the discobery that the wheel bearings were also bad - after 4 days with a new axle. I was bummed.

The axle was replaced under waranty and a fire suppression system installed (my wife was worried after a fire at Thunderhill) and I was ready for the track again. This time it was a different story. I actually got a point-by from a 993tt! I was a happy camper (for about 45 seconds until I spun and nearly destroyed my car). Ok, so i had some work to do on both the driver and the handling. I worked on both. I played with pressures, sespension settings and sway settings and ended up with a wonderful joy to drive. I had another session with an instructor to work on technique and dropped another second in lap time.

I have a bit of learning to do until I can truely drive the car at it's limits well (as opposed to my limits), but this car is a pretty fine beast. A Turtle can beat a hare (or not), but it sure can be fun.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:52 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post Tom!

Quick Reply: Turtle vs. TT