Sponsored by:

4 months & 6000 miles on

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 06:31 PM
adewatson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 months & 6000 miles on

Well I haven't posted much lately as I've been working like crazy, but I thought I'd give a quick update on my new life with a 964 .

I passed the magic 100k mark last week and she now feels like she's ready to rock'n'roll!

Seriously so far I have had no failures to start (quite important as it's my only car). I had my first service done as soon as she was back home 4 months ago which including a distributor drive belt change and MOT cost me £517inc vat.

4 new tyres came next on the list in readiness for my track day at Castle Combe (Kumho Ecstas £320 full set 17" wheels fitted balanced etc courtesy of www.blackcircles.com no affiliation) which have managed to banish the constant noise of wheel bearing failure! Awesome tyres very predictable on the track in wet/dry.

2 litres of oil and a quick once over from my mechanic (yes 2 litres of oil after 8 20 minute track sessions and 4000 miles!) to which a clean bill of health delivered £15

New Oxygen sensor from Berlyn Services was about £90 and I booked in for and hour of labour with my mechanic but unfortunately it took the threads out on the Cat. For future reference make sure your mechanic has an 18mm fine thread tap on hand, mine didn't and it took 3 days with the car off the road but as it only cost £88 vat inc and no replacement Cat I count myself very lucky.

One slight prang with a bus but as they have accepted liability I now get a respray on the n/s quarter, laser wheel alignment and a wheel refurb!

One raplacement boot carpet £60 NB Do not store spare oil on its side in the pocket in your boot carpet

I test drove a 993 C2 on Sunday and I gotta say the 964's staying long term,

Still smile like crazy every drive,

Adrian
Old 06-02-2004, 04:22 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adrian

Interesting report, thanks! Good to hear you and the car are happy...
Old 06-02-2004, 07:52 AM
adewatson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Christer

It has taken me a while to understand the rationale behind spending so much on the engine rebuild on your car, but having driven a 993 I think I understand. I think it would be very difficult to find any car that drives as well as a 964 but a little more power would be nice.

Adrian
Old 06-02-2004, 07:57 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a rationale????

The car is quick in standard form, there is no doubt about that. I have been spoilt in the past though with regards to power, so I just wanted to make mine into what I think it should be IMHO. It remains to be seen though whether I have achieved that.....

Quick Reply: 4 months & 6000 miles on