'91 C2 Rear Spoiler ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 06:16 PM
jtkkz
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb '91 C2 Rear Spoiler ???

Hello
I have a question concerning my rear spoiler.

It does want to seem to go back down.

It seems to be stuck on the up position.

Does this mean it is time to change the motor or can I just lubricate
the drives.

I was reading Adrians book something about lubrication sometimes work, now where do we lubricate it?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:32 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

You need the wiring diagram, a volt meter, and some troubleshooting skill to find the problem. Otherwise, it is like shooting in the dark - you may get lucky, but more likely you will get frustrated. Lubrication will do no harm, but it is also unlikely to fix the problem.

Is the motor getting voltage? You can "hot wire" the motor at its connector with a 12 volt battery, but be very careful. It is dangerous if you short-circuit a battery. I always use a jumper with a 15 Amp fuse just to make sure I don't start welding something by accident. You can also do expensive damage if you energize the motor and drive the spoiler too far in the up or down direction. A quick jog is all that is needed to verify the motor and mechanicals are working.

Most of the time when the spoiler will not retract, there is an electrical problem (limit switches, connectors, or the controller).

When mine did the same thing, I jogged the motor to get the spoiler back down, and then left the motor unplugged while looking for the problem. It was the controller ($245 from the dealer, and unavailable used).
Old 06-01-2004, 07:22 PM
WMRiceman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I concur with springer3. I just went through the whole troubleshooting ordeal last week. If you don’t have the prints, you can email me at wmriceman@nefcom.net and I can help walk you through the process. Mine ended up being the controller but not too long ago I had to change out the micro-switches as well. I don’t think lubricating will fix it but it is a good idea to keep it lubed up. I like using my teflon water proof bike lube but that is just me. Hope this helps. Mark
Old 06-01-2004, 07:46 PM
jtkkz
Banned

I opened up the plastic cover where the gears are located and noticed all the bolts holding on to the gear housing were loose. I went ahead and tightened all of them and cleaned up that section and lubed the gears.

I then turned the ignition on and used manual switch and it worked it went down. I will go for a test drive to see if the auto up and down (50mph)works.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:06 PM
WMRiceman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great to hear, hope it keeps working.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:01 PM
jtkkz
Banned

I drove and tested the car today and all worked fine.

The auto up and down is back to working order.

Thanks for all your advise.

Quick Reply: '91 C2 Rear Spoiler ???