Unwarranted worrying. I hope...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 12:50 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unwarranted worrying. I hope...

It's been warm over here on the eastern seaboard for the last few weeks, so the A/C has been kicking full blast. I hopped in the P-car and went for a quick 15 minute drive, popped into a business for about 5 minutes, and when I cam back out there was fluid running out from under my car. I put my finger in it, smelled it, and it was almost certainly water. It looked like it was coming from near the center of the car, under the gas tank, which is where I believe the A/C unit is. So, what I'm wondering is, is this just condensation and nothing to be worried about? It wasn't very much water, probably about 1/8 cup but I wasn't expected to see it.
Brian
Old 05-31-2004, 01:10 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Could well be condensation! The same thing happened to me in my Mercedes - I drove straight to the official service bay in San Francisco, stepped out of the car and the guy walked up to me and said "Is it fluid running under your car?" I said "What the bloody hell are you...telepathic!!!" He told me that they had people coming in all day with the same thing and assured me it was just condensation due to hot temps. I had to insist they took a look to check!! (I couldn't believe that much runoff could come from condensation!!
Old 05-31-2004, 01:10 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Was it just behind the drivers side front wheel? If so, then it's condensation from the Air Con or mybe overflow from the washer resevoir.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:29 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! I was pretty sure that it was just condensation because it was really humid outside. It was right behind the drivers side front wheel, so I won't worry now! Thanks again.
Brian
Old 05-31-2004, 02:44 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, a 964 doesn't use any water anyway . So, as Andy already pointed out, the only other possible source would be the washer reservoir (assuming you filled it with straight water, and not a window cleaner mix).
Old 05-31-2004, 02:55 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Brian,
This is normal. It is the ice melting off the evaporator. The moisture is removed from the air as it passes though the evaporator causes it freezes and goes no further.
When you stop it melts and comes out of the drain. This is why you have an ice detector sensor in the evaporator.
At the same drain point any moisture from inside the 964 also collects and drains out be it rain or condensation. Water under the front when a/c is on is telling you it is working nicely.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 05-31-2004, 06:38 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

You would not get a second look if this happened in Atlanta. It is quite normal for any air-conditioned car to leave a small stream when parked in the Summer months.

Quick Reply: Unwarranted worrying. I hope...