Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spoiler deactivation by a switch - anyone "jury-rigged" the control module?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 12:40 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts
Question spoiler deactivation by a switch - anyone "jury-rigged" the control module?

Has anyone tried to interrupt the spoiler action by installing a switch somewhere along the circuit? I have been considering this once I realized how often I obsess about my speed to stay below 50mph to keep my spoiler from coming up driving around town! My wife says that's good - keeps me driving slow on my way to work in the 45mph zones. I saw the "group buy" option to get a Ruf module, which would be really nice, but way too expensive for my likes.

Has anyone installed an interrupt switch to deactivate the spoiler action? I am interested in doing this, but don't want to have the dash light appear; and don't want to remove the bulb. If the motor is interrupted, and 50mph reached, will the spoiler control unit trigger the warning light? How about interrupting the speed sensor input? That would seem to work, except then the light would not go out on the dash from startup, right? I'd like to be able to hit the switch when going on the freeway for a long drive - hate to starve my little engine of its much needed air!

Any ideas from anyone who's done this already? Springer3, I know you like to fiddle with these things!

Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2004, 01:34 PM
ian c - u.k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one of the first things i searched on this forum !!!!

i used to have a corrado vr6 , and there was an easy diy conversion to make the spoiler reaise and lower at variable speeds to suit yourself .

if i remember rightly , somebody looked into it on a 964 , and it used a special "wave" and wasnt easy diy .

if , when i fit my fixed rear spoiler it looks "too fast - too furious" , i will have another look into converting the speeds on the standard one .
Old 05-31-2004, 06:57 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I looked long and hard for a way to adjust the extend speed. The speed signal is digital - a pulse stream from the speedometer IIRC, and not something easily adjusted like good old-fashioned analog voltages. I too looked at the group purchase. For $100 exchange I would be tempted, but no way at $300.

I did not consider simply switching the thing off, but you are correct - you might trigger the warning lamp if the spoiler controller did not report for duty to the central informer. The speed signal would seem to be the best place to interrupt without risk of consequences - just fool it into thinking you are sitting still. You would need to drive off with the switch closed, and then open the switch as soon as the warning light goes off. I just can't bring myself to cut into the factory wiring harness, and don't want to install a switch. I am driving an unmolested original car. Modified cars ususally suffer on resale value, and this sort of modification would not look good.

Last edited by springer3; 05-31-2004 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:01 PM
ian c - u.k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have info somewhere for turbo2's fitted with a fixed wing . i'll see if it mentions how to by-pass the light etc.
it may be something simple like the rs steering wheel by-pass
Old 05-31-2004, 09:58 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

I guess I could just disconnect it and jumper the plug as mentioned in Adrian's book. I hit the freeway about 2 times per week, so I don't think I'd even miss the spoiler and/or its benefits!!!

I tend to prefer the look when it's down, anyways!

I am surprised that Ruf does not accept an old module for exchange, or even "reworking" - now that would be the way to go! I'd even pay $100 for it(maybe...)!

Quick Reply: spoiler deactivation by a switch - anyone "jury-rigged" the control module?