Sponsored by:

ISV, air-flow meter and idle microswitch clean

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup Peter I am - I have had 3 occassions in the last fortnight where I have made a brief stop come back out, started the car, reversed and stalled (all very embarrasing of course!) when the idle has gone to 0. Also I get a sort of "gulping for air" feeling when pulling forward in first and am compensating with extra revs. She seems fine when left idling for all but a slight raqcing every few minutes or so.

Dont think there is a real problem but figured it couldnt hurt to follow Davids excellent DIY.

Did you order new crimp clamps, jubillee clips etc? I would have been planning to tackle this over the weekend but dont have any spares.

Would love to hear your story when completed.

Thanks,
Old 08-27-2004, 09:59 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

One suggestion; there is no need to separate the airbox cover from the airflow meter (i.e. 4 screws around the trumpet) and you'll save yourself a few bucks not having to replace the gasket.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:02 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jason, can you still access the AFM as well for cleaning purposes without separating?
Old 08-28-2004, 12:42 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Did you order new crimp clamps, jubillee clips etc? I would have been planning to tackle this over the weekend but dont have any spares.
I'm hoping to find some comparable jubilee clips at my local hardware or auto supply store. I will let you know if I was successful or if we have to order the usually overpriced OEM parts.

PS. I wasn't gonna clean the AFM but if Jason's suggestion works than I might just as well give it a try.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:51 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PC2
I'm hoping to find some comparable jubilee clips at my local hardware or auto supply store. I will let you know if I was successful or if we have to order the usually overpriced OEM parts.

PS. I wasn't gonna clean the AFM but if Jason's suggestion works than I might just as well give it a try.
Wasn't the jubilees that I was thinking of - they can be reused ok. Its the crimp ones that are in the pics that are a one time only deal. If they were obtainable locally I'd have a crack at this in the am!
Old 08-28-2004, 12:57 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

I was going to change the crimp clamps to jubilee clips thinking that I will be cleaning the ISV every year and didn't want to keep on buying the clamps.

Old 08-28-2004, 01:02 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

When you pop the airbox cover out it looks like this;

There is a little horn piece that will pop right out; and make it easier to clean the AFM.

Are you 100% that you can't reuse the crimp style hose clamps? I'm looking at the injection systems components section of the workshop manuals (I'm currently fighting with some oil lines tonight) and there is nothing about replacing the crimp style hose clamps. The manuals are REALLY good at telling you what needs to be replaced and what can be re-used and there is nothing about the clamps.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:14 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Are you 100% that you can't reuse the crimp style hose clamps? I'm looking at the injection systems components section of the workshop manuals (I'm currently fighting with some oil lines tonight) and there is nothing about replacing the crimp style hose clamps. The manuals are REALLY good at telling you what needs to be replaced and what can be re-used and there is nothing about the clamps.
I have NO idea to be honest! If anyone has any input I'd be very grateful as I have time tomorrow to do this but was going to pass out of the belief that I needed the new clamps!
Old 08-28-2004, 06:16 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

I checked my receipts from when my ISV was replaced in 96 by my dealer and they didn't charge me for new clamps, I also re-crimped last summer.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:32 AM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

David, any update? Is the car idling properly now?
I'll have to phone the shop to find out

Seriously, the idle is near perfect now. The only thing it does is when really hot if I come to a halt with the air-con running the idle dips for a fraction of a setting before stabilising. I probably wouldn't even notice it if I hadn't had the poor idle to begin with.

Thanks for the positive comments about the write up, it was just an attempt to put something back for all the help I've had in the past and expect I'll be in need of again! For example, your rear lens spray is going to save me at least £350, less a Boddy's or two I also really appreciate the additions that make the write up more complete - for example I had no idea about the gasket Jason mentions!
Old 08-28-2004, 03:37 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, I took the AFM and ISV out in about 5-10 minutes, and left the Airbox and AFM connected. Not very dirty TBO but I am in process of cleaning up anyway before replacing in the car.

I can add that I dont think much benefit can be had by removing the air box cover and that the AFM is very accessible for cleaning purposes with it still attached.

Crimp clamps appear to be reusable no problem.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:17 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, everything now back in car. One silly question, at risk of appearing stupid (right ,like thats never happened before!),the ISV 'wings' where the hoses attach have a notch. I presumed that this notch is as far as the hose should go; the question is whether the hose should COVER the notch or not?

(David, sorry to butcher the picture!)
Old 08-28-2004, 06:51 PM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

I seem to recall there was a lip to clear on each side and if the clips were fixed holding the rubber hoses to the far side of the lip then there was no way the hose could pull loose?
Old 08-28-2004, 10:44 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Thanks David for the great write up and Jason for the tip on saving a couple of bucks on the gasket.

The cleaning went very well and my idle is steadier but can't say it's solid as it still hunts a tiny bit.

Old 08-31-2004, 05:18 PM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Peter, maybe a good reason to go one stage better and do the sensor of the AFM?

I've just bought a replacement airbox (old one had broken lugs so rear clips kept disappearing) and I've ordered the gasket ready for fitting to the AFM. Can anyone advise, is there a standard 'gasket sealant' that should be used? The workshop manual doesn't mention anything but the old one looks like it has goo and maybe it's just something everyone knows....

Quick Reply: ISV, air-flow meter and idle microswitch clean