Sponsored by:

System Adaptation Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 07:05 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 492 Posts
Default System Adaptation Issue

Gents - I’ve read as much as I can on the issue, but not finding anything on point.

Disconnected battery last weekend to replace the starter. Once reconnected with all grounds / connections double checked, the DME doesn’t seems to be permanently adapting. Never had this issue before, even after other battery disconnects.

Every time the car sits for any decent length of time, it needs to relearn again to run right. I tried letting it sit and idle for ~30 min with no inputs, driving aggressively, driving normally, etc. Still runs like garbage on startup for about 10 min.

Frustrated. Any ideas ?
Old 08-21-2023, 02:39 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 250 Posts

I guess you need to do the OBD diagnostic Idle Adaptation procedure.
You need a Porsche-compatible OBD tool.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 08-21-2023, 12:32 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToreB
I guess you need to do the OBD diagnostic Idle Adaptation procedure.
You need a Porsche-compatible OBD tool.
Cheers,
Tore
Thanks.

I have a Durametric, but don't think it has the adaptation procedure functionality. No other likely culprits or fixes to check first ?
Old 08-21-2023, 06:01 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Potentially resolved. Drove just now after sitting all weekend and it started right up and ran flawlessly. Maybe I just needed to complain about the problem on RL for it to go away . . .
Old 08-21-2023, 06:07 PM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 137 Posts

I find it takes a good half hour of driving for the car to do its own idle adaptation. My UDT999 will do it if I bother to plug it in and run the routine but so far I have not bothered.
The weird thing is, if I disconnect the battery only for a day or two it does not seem to lose the settings. If it sits disconnected for a week or more, then it takes a half hour ride to fix it.
Old 08-21-2023, 06:09 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
I find it takes a good half hour of driving for the car to do its own idle adaptation. My UDT999 will do it if I bother to plug it in and run the routine but so far I have not bothered.
The weird thing is, if I disconnect the battery only for a day or two it does not seem to lose the settings. If it sits disconnected for a week or more, then it takes a half hour ride to fix it.
Seems to be little rhyme or reason. It was disconnected for a day or so for the starter work, but I've definitely done that in the past and had zero adaptation issues.
Old 08-21-2023, 06:13 PM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 137 Posts

Weak battery maybe? Non-volatile memory has been around since the 1960's so one has to wonder why the engineers chose not to use it for the idle settings.
Old 08-21-2023, 06:16 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
Weak battery maybe? Non-volatile memory has been around since the 1960's so one has to wonder why the engineers chose not to use it for the idle settings.
I didn't check that, mostly because it's only ~10 months old. I also thought it strange that there wouldn't be a way to prevent this by design . . .
Old 08-21-2023, 06:42 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

I wonder if you have some other issue. I've let me car sit for a while several times and never notice any running issues. YOu're sure you're in good tune, no air/vacuum leaks, fuel issues, etC?
Old 08-21-2023, 06:53 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I wonder if you have some other issue. I've let me car sit for a while several times and never notice any running issues. YOu're sure you're in good tune, no air/vacuum leaks, fuel issues, etC?
No, not entirely sure, but zero issues prior to that work being done. Doesn’t mean something couldn’t have cropped up …

Quick Reply: System Adaptation Issue