964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone been rippedoff in EBAY?

Old 05-13-2004, 05:17 AM
rutz964C4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone been rippedoff in EBAY?

Some time ago I have purchased several parts for the car, teardrop mirrors from Germany and a underdash with all the parts, its been quite a while and after having paid with paypal the items never arrive

Paypal only complains when there is a time of 30 days, with all the mails now its been much more than that.

Has anyone had the same problem? and has anyone been able to solve it?

ALEX
Old 05-13-2004, 06:00 AM
GaryN
Instructor

Unhappy

Hi Alex,

I had a slightly different problem, about 1.5 years ago I "bought" a set of Teardrop mirrors for my RHD 964 off e-Bay and after 3 e-mails to confirm that they were definitely RHD teardrops and the genuine Porsche part. I received them only to find they were LHD mirrors and NON-Genuine parts!!!
As you can imagine I was not impressed!!
Sent them back (got my money back but lost the postage) and bought the genuine article from Porsche Centre.

Cheers
Gary '91 C2
Old 05-13-2004, 06:19 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Alex,
I've never had any problems with ebay, and i must have made 20 transactions.
Did you make sure the seller had a good history? Thats the important thing. Its not worth buying anything vaguelly expensive from someone with no previous transaction history.
Sorry you had a bad experience, you never know, the goods may turn up
Old 05-13-2004, 06:20 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First - be sure to post a bad recommendation about the seller to warn others

Second - most people are using creditcards with paypal. Talk to your credit card company and tell them you didn't get the goods and ask them to recall the payment. Most credit card companies insure you for this type of hassle.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:42 AM
rutz964C4
Racer

Thanks for the replies.

Before bidding I always check the rep. and the comments from other people buying and selling to this person, I,ve made quite a lot of transactions on ebay without any problems just this two, one of them the guy changed the address in San Francisco and the e-mail, and for the moment it is impossible to contact him.

ALEX
Old 05-13-2004, 08:49 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ebay

hello, i had a problem before and you can email ebay and file a complaint and they will respond quickly and provide with the steps to take and they might even reimburse you up to to purchase price less 25.00 which is thier fee. email them and see what happen. they will respond and are quite helpful. hope this info helps you out. dont let this discourage you from ebay as they are not all bad people out there.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Very few out of maybe 5,000 + transactions since ebay first started. I just try and be careful, review feedback, and email sellers first in case their are any doubts or questions. Obviously, I have seen a lot of auctions that look problematic through the years and I just avoid those. I probably could could count on one hand the number of bad checks I have received or the times where I have received bad product. I really cannot ever being ripped off as a buyer. I feel as along as you are careful, review feedback and communicate on the front end, ebay can be good.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:48 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Credit card payments do permit some recourse, as the card companies will reverse charges if you send them a detailed description of the transaction.

Hope you get some relief.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:12 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with the credit card use with PayPal. I only have my PayPal account linked to a credit card, not a bank account. If I do get shafted by an unethical seller (happened a few times in probably 650 transactions), then I notify my credit card company and have them reverse the charges due to a fraudulent sale. It really pi$$es off PayPal, because the seller has usually already cleaned out his account, and they can't get the money back from him. However, it is all in their costs of doing business, and you know that they have a "slush fund" just like the banks do to cover these types of issues.

Bottom line is that I am not out of the money. Your credit card company will send you an affidavit to fill out, sign and return to them. Then it is up to their and PayPal's investigators to do the rest. And... PayPal doesn't want to ring up too many reversed charge issues with the credit card companies as it can impact their ability to accept cards in the future.

So far this has protected me.

Good luck with your parts,
Tom
Old 05-13-2004, 12:57 PM
rutz964C4
Racer

Originally posted by TMH
I agree with the credit card use with PayPal. I only have my PayPal account linked to a credit card, not a bank account. If I do get shafted by an unethical seller (happened a few times in probably 650 transactions), then I notify my credit card company and have them reverse the charges due to a fraudulent sale. It really pi$$es off PayPal, because the seller has usually already cleaned out his account, and they can't get the money back from him. However, it is all in their costs of doing business, and you know that they have a "slush fund" just like the banks do to cover these types of issues.

Good luck with your parts,
Tom
Thanks for the replies does someone know how much time can go by until I can reverse the charges??

Thanks

ALEX
Old 05-13-2004, 01:47 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by rutz964C4
Thanks for the replies does someone know how much time can go by until I can reverse the charges??

Thanks

ALEX
Alex,

I would think that you have about 90 days. It doesn't even matter if the charge to PayPal has already shown up on your credit card statement, or if you have already paid the bill to your CC company. Just call the customer service number on the back of your card, explain the situation and tell them that you want to reverse the charges as you now have exhausted your options and you believe that this was a fradulent transaction. When the charge is reversed, that will get the wheels going within PayPal, and they will also ask for an explanation from you. Once satisfied, they will check the seller's account balance, and attempt to pull your money out (not likely it will be available). Both your CC company and PayPal will give you directions on how to proceed once you initiate the process. Remember, however, that PayPal is going to try and protect itself against any losses, so they somewhat become an adversary in this along with the seller. The CC company is your only friend.

Tom
Old 05-13-2004, 04:27 PM
ian c - u.k

alex
i just had a bad experience where the goods where damaged when they arrived .
go to your paypal page , i think it is " trading disputes" that you click on .
write an essay to say what happened . you get an email confirmining it is being investigated , the other partyy gets an email with all the details of your complaint .
3 days later the money is credited back to your account

also do the ebay complaint , but let paypal sort the money as they don't charge .

make sure you "suggest" an ebay fraud has been carried out on you , as i heard this gets paypals attention .

another time an automatic brake bleeder wasnt delivered after 8 days of paypal payment , and the guy wouldn't answer email .
3 days later cash was credited back .

good luck .
Old 05-13-2004, 04:28 PM
ian c - u.k

and better to wait until the 90 days are in the last minutes before you leave a negative feedback !!!

leaves them no time to give you a negative out of spite .
Old 05-14-2004, 03:11 AM
rutz964C4
Racer

Thanks again for the replies.

ALEX
Old 05-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A story just to prove that NO ONE is immune to scams:

One of our morning talk show D.J.s - the #1 station in the area, FM-99 reported that she was ripped off for $239 a few weeks ago. She has filed through Paypal and E-Bay for restitution and said the process requires patience.

Kind of surprising to hear her account - although she admitted that the deal sounded too good to be true.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone been rippedoff in EBAY?